Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Amazing choice of pre-owned Bang and Olufsen

Got a problem with the Forum?
then please email me at keith@beoworld.org with details

Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

How do i connect Beosound Ouverture and Beocenter 2300 to my LAN ?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Basstard
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Bronze Member
Basstard posted on Tue, Nov 14 2017 9:08 PM

Hi all.

I do have the above mentioned machines.

Beosound Ouverture is to be connected by Masterlink cable to Beolab 2500.

Beocenter 2300 has 2 Beolab 4000 connected by Powerlink.

As i have 11 Ethernet ports in my apartment i would like to connect these to each other, In different rooms of course :)

In my livingroom i have the Beosystem 6500 with Beovox S80.2 that i would like to be integrated as well, but not necessarily. Indifferent

All Replies

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 100 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
749 Posts
Gold Member

Hi,

Unfortunately, Ethernet cabling isn't suitable for connecting audio systems together.  This is because it isn't shielded, so you will cause large amounts of interference onto the audio channels.  Please can you tell us what you wish to achieve by linking the three music systems together?

There may be a better way to do this, depending on how you wish to use and control them.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor the BeoWorld forums!

Basstard
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Steve.

Thanks for your reply.

I´m going to make it slow, so that i can understand myself.

Ok, i got this Beosystem 6500 with a pair of Beovox.S80.2

I also got the above mentioned Equipment, how can i connect these together ?

Beosystem 6500  +  Beosound Ouverture, Beolab 2500  + Beocenter 2300 + Beolab 4000

CB
Top 100 Contributor
> You are Here <
850 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Fri, Nov 17 2017 11:03 PM

I think Steve's question is: "How do you imagine the use of everything once connected?"

For example, you start a CD in the first room on the Ouverture, and then?

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,012 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Sat, Nov 18 2017 12:52 AM

You need a fundamental understanding of ML "master" and "slave" roles. You can connect various B&O products together using ML cable. However, You can only distribute music throughout the system from the audio master - which can be any of your audio products -- but just one. A FEW B&O products, such as your Ouverture, can serve the role of audio slave, which means that they can provide a local audio source in a room while still accepting the audio source from the audio master. You cannot distribute the audio slave music in other rooms, though.

The way to connect multiple audio masters in a system using ethernet CAT 6/7 cables and to be able to access all of these sources in each room is by attaching an NL/ML Converter to each audio master and buying an NL product such as the BeoPlay M5. In this way, you can map the various audio sources to ML IR commands. Of course, this is a rather costly investment, but it is a way to connect all of the audio masters. Note, though, that you are limited to ML sources that can be mapped.

Basstard
Not Ranked
27 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks all.

This is really not my area.

Let´s make my Beosystem 6500 the primary system...

I would like to be able to listen to records in my kitchen where i will place the Ouverture and Beolab 2500, and in my bedroom where i will place the Beocenter 2300 and Beolab 4000.

But still, am i f''''d about the issue connecting over the LAN ? @Steve

Thanks again

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,012 Posts
Bronze Member

Read my post again. What you suggest can only be done using all three music system with NL/ML converters. ML is based on a concept of having ONE audio system in a ML network distributing sound from the Audio Master's sources to link room speakers. I believe that only the Ouverture and the BeoMaster 4500 (one-way remote version but not the 2-way remote version) can work as audio slaves in link rooms. Therefore, you cannot distribute sound from the Ouverture to the BeoCenter 2300 unless you convert to an NL system using NL/ML converters for each device.

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,012 Posts
Bronze Member

Excuse me. I meant for my last sentence to read "Therefore, you cannot distribute sound from the BEOSYSTEM 6500 to the BeoCenter 2300 unless you convert to an NL system using NL/ML converters."

beojeff
Top 75 Contributor
USA
1,012 Posts
Bronze Member

You could, however, replace the BeoCenter 2300 with a BeoLink Active box and connect the speakers to the BeoLink Active instead of the BeoCenter 2300. BeoLink Active boxes can be found for maying around $100 or so second hand. This will allow you to distribute the music from the 6500 to the speakers connected to the BeoLink Active. You would need master link (ML) cables to connect everything together. You also need a converter to convert the BeoSystem 6500 from MCL (Master Control Link)  to ML.

NL is the most current link system.

ML was the previous link system.

MCL was the link system prior to ML.

All of these generations of systems can be combined with the use of special converter boxes. So what you want to do CAN be achieved with the investment of various converter boxes. Beware that a single NL/ML converter box costs well over $1000 USD new. Therefore, your most economic solution is to replace the BeoCenter 2300 with a BeoLink Active. The MCL to ML convert box, which you need for the BeoSystem 6500, can usually be found for under $100 second hand.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS