BeoSound Core Compatibility

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 29 Replies | 2 Followers

dgarratt
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
dgarratt posted on Sat, Nov 11 2017 8:03 AM

Hi All, I have a number of B&O products however I thinking of purchasing a BeoSound Core for my main 3rd party system and i'm wondering if I can use the BeoSound Core and connect it to my 3rd party DAC via the optical out on the Core. I could then essentially control this 3rd part system with the BO App.

Would appreciate any advise.

All Replies

Rudi Pedersen
Top 500 Contributor
Herning, Denmark
78 Posts
Gold Member

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Core behave in the same way as old B&O products in terms of connecting to Beolab 5.

I have bought a Core now and will try to make the PowerLink connection but also the digital connection. I will take the optical out from the core and add a converter in between so the optical is converted to SPDIF for Beolab 5.

The speaker - will that run for Option 0 or Option 1 ?

(I am waiting for the converter to come, so can't test right now)

Additional question: would a low noice power supply for the Core gives better sound like I did when I had the Auralic Mini ?

Thanks for ideas

BR Rudi

pauliander
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Rudi, I don't have the answer to your questions but I am very interested in these as well.

What I know is that in contrast to the BL5 the Core can convert high res audio files up to 192 kHz.

However, the question is whether the DAC of the Core in sound quality at least matches that of the built-in DAC of the BL5. 

To me this is not clear because B&O has installed an optical output on the Core.

Also, DACs have evolved considerably the last decade while the BL5 date from early 2000s.

If you could do a comparison on the Core using PL and digital out to the BL5 we may get more insights on this. Ideally I would like to know whether high res converted by Core to Pl sounds better than standard red book udio digitally fed to BL5.

Any feedback or thoughts on that are seriously appreciated.

Regards from Gent!

Rudi Pedersen
Top 500 Contributor
Herning, Denmark
78 Posts
Gold Member

Hi

I have an update on this issue. Not positive right now.

I connected via powerlink, and the sound was not good - noisy. I contacted B&O and they had an sad answer. (I wonder if they have kicked out all test people as in older days, they were more tuff on testing products before shipping to market)

The conclusion for now is - problem using powerlink. I have now connected digital with a converter in between (optical to SPDIF). The Beolab 5 is the controlled by an Essence remote.

It would be much better if the volume control works on the app.

Hmmm...the Core is new, so we are getting used to wait many months before the product actually works well.

BR Rudi

***** Summary *****
KE16990: BeoSound Core - When BeoLab 5 is connected a "turntable noise" is heard in the tweeter

***** Question *****
When BeoLab 5 is connected to a BeoSound Core via Powerlink, noise is heard in the tweeter.

The noise sounds like a turntable.

***** Answer *****

Workarround:
We have tested different workaround, but unfortunately there is not a suitable solution. 

Resolution:
We are working on a solution to this problem.

pauliander
Not Ranked
17 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you for your feedback Rudi.

That's sad news because the product does not deliver on its promise then.

If the Core would have a good DAC and no problems with the powerlink connection I would be willing to ditch my Sonos Connect.

B&O should take this seriously because an improved interface can be a game changer for a lot of B&O users which currently use Sonos.

I know that several people on the forum don't believe in high res streaming but it's out there now with Tidal and I want it. Why settle with less if it's available for streaming now.

Sonos can't play it and I want it on my Beolabs: Beolab 5s, Pentas and soon also the Beolab 18.

I am ready to change from Sonos to B&O and I'm pretty sure I am not the only one...

Regards!

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
4,018 Posts
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sun, Nov 26 2017 2:11 PM

So the dac isn't good from quality

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
493 Posts
Bronze Member
I experimented with Core for nearly 2 months with the Beolab 90s and it was very troublesome and not fit for purpose. It kept freezing and wouldn’t allow you to change tracks on Deezer Elite Hifi or from my NAS smoothly. It dropped artwork, it wouldn’t fast forward through tracks, it wouldn’t load tracks into play queue and would just stop responding suddenly. It was terrible. I then used Roon on my laptop via USB and as well as Roon being the most beautiful and responsive piece of music software around it never missed a step and ran smoothly 100% of the time. I got a full refund and glad I tried it but it’s astronomically far from complete and deeply underperforming at the moment.
koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
4,018 Posts
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sun, Nov 26 2017 3:00 PM

Oke....then i wait a little longer

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
4,018 Posts
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sun, Nov 26 2017 4:01 PM

Airplay2 can that be implanted bij sw updates or will it be a new device

Beer_Baron
Not Ranked
Australia
34 Posts
Silver Member

pauliander:

However I would need to use powerlink cables I believe and not use the BL5s internal DAC anymore.

This made me all thinking about the quality of my BL5 DAC dating from 2005 vis-à-vis the new BS Core 2017 DAC....

From reading the BL5 technical manual on this site, when feeding the BL5 with PowerLink cables the internal process is PL -> converted to digital -> converted to analogue -> speakers. The SPDIF connection goes straight to the middle of this sequence, so it goes SPDIF -> converted to analogue -> speakers.

Therefore I think that by using the Powerlink input to the BL5 you are in fact adding an extra DAC conversion step. But I have another idea....

BV6-26, BV7-40, BL7.4, BL3, BL5, BS9000, BC1, ES1, Beo4, BeoPort

Beer_Baron
Not Ranked
Australia
34 Posts
Silver Member

Questions about the Core:

• can the optical input be passed through to the NetLink ie the Ethernet cable?
  • can this source then be used anywhere on the NetLink?
  • can you have more than one Core in a multi-room set-up?
  • how expensive is the Core compared to a ML/NL converter?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
7,394 Posts
Founder
Beer_Baron:

Questions about the Core:

1. can the optical input be passed through to the NetLink ie the Ethernet cable?

2. can this source then be used anywhere on the NetLink?

3. can you have more than one Core in a multi-room set-up?

4. how expensive is the Core compared to a ML/NL converter?

1. I don’t know but I doubt it

2. If it is possible I guess so but again I suspect not

3. I hustled the Core joining my Essence II, and vice versa — as both units were in the same there was dissonance, clearly from one to the other via WiFi introduced a delay. So I tested both ways, and they both had a lag. Also because I was using WiFi with a poor signal, the 2nd unit always experienced choppiness. So I think the answer to this question is YES Smile

4. My recollection of the BLC’s price a year or more ago with the Core’s price is that the Core is less expensive (one can never say “cheap” with B&O Big Smile)

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
7,394 Posts
Founder
@BeerBaron

elephant:

3. can you have more than one Core in a multi-room set-up?

4. how expensive is the Core compared to a ML/NL converter?

1. I don’t know but I doubt it

2. If it is possible I guess so but again I suspect not

3. I hustled the Core joining my Essence II, and vice versa — as both units were in the same there was dissonance, clearly from one to the other via WiFi introduced a delay. So I tested both ways, and they both had a lag. Also because I was using WiFi with a poor signal, the 2nd unit always experienced choppiness. So I think the answer to this question is YES

Today I tested (rather than hustled! silly autocorrect) the Core and Essence together with a 3rd destination in the network (via my BLC) and it all worked fine - no buffering issues.

So now my YES is an absolutely!

BeoNut since '75

CB
Top 100 Contributor
> You are Here <
876 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Sat, Dec 9 2017 8:38 AM

Beer_Baron:
can the optical input be passed through to the NetLink ie the Ethernet cable?

can this source then be used anywhere on the NetLink?

In order to work properly, the Core will probably be connected to the home network (via an ethernet cable or WiFi). Hence, the Core will be "visible" on the network (and then could be used as a source). This is the reason why you can "join" it/to it.

You don't have to "send the music out of the Core" from its optical output to the network to stream on your network.

Or I didn't understand your need?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
7,394 Posts
Founder
Christophe is correct

Perhaps if I show how this configuration is wired ?

(Difficult in ASCII !)

BS4

||

|| ML

||

BV8

||

|| ML

||

BLC NL/ML (called BeoLink in the image)

|

| Ethernet

|

Router(connected to internet)

: wireless | Ethernet

: |

: Core (called Sitting Room above)

:

Essence (called BeoSittingRoom in the above image)

BeoNut since '75

Beer_Baron
Not Ranked
Australia
34 Posts
Silver Member

Rudi Pedersen:

I have bought a Core now and will try to make the PowerLink connection but also the digital connection. I will take the optical out from the core and add a converter in between so the optical is converted to SPDIF for Beolab 5.

The speaker - will that run for Option 0 or Option 1 ?

Rudi, how did this experiment go with getting high quality streaming to the BL5?

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS