Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Amazing choice of pre-owned Bang and Olufsen

Got a problem with the Forum?
then please email me at keith@beoworld.org with details

Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

BS Essence in an integrated setup with tv?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,812 Posts
Bronze Member
Millemissen posted on Wed, Nov 8 2017 10:59 PM

As you might know it is possible to use an Essence (2nd gen) - or a Core - as an integrated part of a NL-BeoVision - to let it share the speakers of the tv.

Would be nice to hear from someone, who uses this kind of setup on a daily basis.

How does the setup behave, when you start an Essence source via the app?

Does all sources act the same?

Does using Spotify Connect turn on the BV?

How about when you cast using ChromeCast to the Essence - or Airplay to it.

Or using bluetooth?

I suppose, that these sources also are visible in the source list (of e.g. a BV11) - (this is not the case, if the Essence is just connected to the tv).

Does the timer functions of the Essence turn on the tv, then?

When the Essence is integrated with a BV, can it still be connected to another (in another room)?

All these questions because I ‘only’ have personal experience with the Essence as a connected (to a BV in another room in my house) device.

A post from Mr Andersen in another thread about the behaviour of the Bang & Olufsen app used with an Essence/Core that is integrated with a BV triggered my curiousity.

Read here: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/28341/223426.aspx#223426

In other words - will it be worth it to have a dedicated Essence/Core integrated with the BV?

Or is connecting an Essence (used in another room with its own speakers) to the BV just as good?

Pardon me for this/these sophisticated/somewhat nerdy question/s - but this is where the fun with the current B&O products begins ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,812 Posts
Bronze Member

Really - no one has a BS Essence or BS Core set up to integrate with his/her BV???

MM

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,128 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Nov 9 2017 11:51 PM

I'll see if I have time this weekend to move my Essence over to the BV and not have any speakers connected to the essence directly, and report back.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,812 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks a lot Sal.

But I could do that myself at home.

Just thought that someone must have an integrated setup running already - and that he/she could report back.

MM

talfaia
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi MM, I have a BS Core integrated with BV11 with BL9 as fronts and BL3s as surrounds and backs on a 7.1 setup. The reason I included a core into this is because I wanted to get spotify connect and chromecast added to my setup and control music via the B&O app. I also use DLNA a lot and have a large library stored on my NAS (qnap) using twonky server. All my files are in FLAC format and most were ripped from my old CD collection.

Chromecast and airplay do not work on an integrated setup (apparently due to licensing, etc)

Spotify connect works well, but if you make a queue on spotify, that would replace the queue that you have on the B&O app (ie you cannot program the core to play a song on spotify and then play another one from your on collection via DLNA).

On the other hand, Deezer and DLNA are supposed to be fully integrated, which would be nice that you can make integrated playlists using deezer and songs from your collection. However, whenever I do this, I have no sound from any song played from my NAS via DLNA. This is the biggest issue that I have from this setup. If I play the song directly from the BV11 via the home media, it plays fine...

Deezer HiFI works well on this setup as well.

MrAndersen
Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Millemissen

In an integrated the TV is linked to a Essence MKII or BS Core and "enhanced" with the capabilities of that product. If you play Spotify or other sources on the linked product (EZMKII or BS Core) it will play on the TV. You can also start the sources directly from the TV as the sources are added to the source list of the TV.

What we have done in the latest version of the app is to make this setup appear as one. This means that in the Home view you will only see the TV and only interact with the TV. So Deezer, TuneIn, expand etc. will all behave like it would for example on a BeoSound 1, just with the TV speakers. The integration will be detected by the app and you are notified when they are merged. 

This is quite complicated and in my opinion not something you do unless you get help from an installer or are a super user. When done this is, however, quite powerful and really makes the TV more capable. 

I hope this helps

Thomas, Bang & Olufsen

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,812 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Thomas,

once I have my ‘new’ main tv - and I get the money together for an extra EZNKll/Core - I’ll give it a try.

I am pretty sure, that I’ll figure out how to set it up.

I was just wondering how much benefit there is in dedicating/integrating the EZMKll/Core to the tv versus having one somewhere in the setup ‘just connected’ to it.

Seems to be the way to go, though....since the NL capacities of the tv’s are far behind those of the audiosystems.

You (or Petros Beli...) really should do a tutorial video on this subject - in order to show the costumers, what is possible today in terms of integration.

Petros once made one, but things move on...new app, new products etc.

MM

jimcaj
Not Ranked
Denmark
37 Posts
Bronze Member
jimcaj replied on Wed, Nov 15 2017 1:19 PM

Millemissen:
once I have my ‘new’ main tv - and I get the money together for an extra EZNKll/Core - I’ll give it a try.

What model do you have in mind? For my part, I cannot afford the Eclipse, don't want Android and I'm not sure about BV11 Sad

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,812 Posts
Bronze Member

I’ll post pictures as soon as I get it up and running ;-))

MM

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
260 Posts
Gold Member
Flere replied on Thu, Nov 16 2017 8:48 PM
It works as if the Essence sources are built in the BV.

So the answers to most of your questions is yes.

- Flere

smile and enjoy the moment

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
260 Posts
Gold Member
Flere replied on Thu, Nov 16 2017 9:07 PM

Millemissen:

As you might know it is possible to use an Essence (2nd gen) - or a Core - as an integrated part of a NL-BeoVision - to let it share the speakers of the tv.

Would be nice to hear from someone, who uses this kind of setup on a daily basis.

How does the setup behave, when you start an Essence source via the app?

==> BV wakes up, applies the settings for this source and the music is played.

Does all sources act the same?

==> Per source you can configure the default settings like sound and speakers etc

Does using Spotify Connect turn on the BV?

==> yes, but I do not know if you will hear the music. It did not work in the past and now I do not have Spotify anymore.

How about when you cast using ChromeCast to the Essence - or Airplay to it.

Or using bluetooth?

I suppose, that these sources also are visible in the source list (of e.g. a BV11) - (this is not the case, if the Essence is just connected to the tv).

==> yes, see picture of previous post

Does the timer functions of the Essence turn on the tv, then?

==> do not know, did not try, but I guess it will work

When the Essence is integrated with a BV, can it still be connected to another (in another room)?

==> yes. and vice versa. Except for the licensing related problems (like with Spotify) it really works as if the BV has built in the sources of the Essence sources. In the app you still see two devices, but I understand that this will be changed and you see the BV alone instead and the BV will be able to do what the Essence2 or Core can do.

All these questions because I ‘only’ have personal experience with the Essence as a connected (to a BV in another room in my house) device.

A post from Mr Andersen in another thread about the behaviour of the Bang & Olufsen app used with an Essence/Core that is integrated with a BV triggered my curiousity.

Read here: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/28341/223426.aspx#223426

In other words - will it be worth it to have a dedicated Essence/Core integrated with the BV?

==> IMHO yes.

Or is connecting an Essence (used in another room with its own speakers) to the BV just as good?

==> No. 

- Flere

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
260 Posts
Gold Member
Flere replied on Thu, Nov 16 2017 9:24 PM
I was wrong.

Like Spotify, Google Cast does not seem to work in the integrated setup with an Essence2.

Do not know for the Core.

- Flere

talfaia
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Bronze Member
talfaia replied on Thu, Nov 16 2017 10:38 PM

HI Flere,

I have a core integrated with BV11. I can confirm that Spotify connect works very well. Google Cast does not work at all though (if you look at the set up page in the B&O app there's a disclaimer stating the same).

I'm having a problem with my core as it does not play music stored on my NAS (I use twonkyserver) and all my files are flac from ripped CDs. The source Music is shown on my BV11 but whenever I call a song from my NAS using the B&O app, it doesn't play (the playlist stops but the file is shown on the TV as "now playing). Do you experience the same?

Thanks 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,812 Posts
Bronze Member

Flere:
I was wrong.

Like Spotify, Google Cast does not seem to work in the integrated setup with an Essence2.

That was, what I wanted to know....
.....and it kind of contradicts what Mr Andersen wrote.
Feeding Deezer using the app will start the tv right away, I am sure and that is nice.
Starting DLNA/Music also.
But one already hs Netradio built in to the tv (in your screenshot as Radio) and can start that with one touch (or two) on the remote.
Personally I don’t use Bluetooth on the main setup - but for those, who do, it’s nice.
Not being able to start up the tv (from Standby or to switch source instantly) when you use Spotify Connect and Casting is a drawback.
(Nothing, that B&O can be held responsible for, I know)
Maybe this integrated version is at most important to those, who use Deezer as their music streaming provider.
My conclusion - as of now....with no Deezer account - there is too little benefit adding/integrating an extra Essence/Core, if you already have one elsewhere in the setup with its own speakers connected.
Maybe it is time for a change from Spotify to Deezer ;-))
NB!!!
Writing the above, I just saw the post that talfaia wrote - there is more to this....must be.
Also I can easily join in to a Spotify Connect session (as well as a Cast session) on my Essence from my V1 (Essence connected there).
Will make some screenshots tomorrow (time for bed here)
MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,812 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Flere:
I was wrong.

NB!!!
Writing the above, I just saw the post that talfaia wrote - there is more to this....must be.
Also I can easily join in to a Spotify Connect session (as well as a Cast session) on my Essence from my V1 (Essence connected there).
Will make some screenshots tomorrow (time for bed here)
MM

As you see, I can easily play Spotify Connect content from my Essence on my V1 in a remote room.

This Essence is connected, not integrated.

I can initiate the playback (on the V1) either through adding it in the app or through using the Join command there.

When this is possible, why shouldn’t it be possible to do the same with an integrated Essence (or Core)?

Question is: would starting the playback on the (integrated) Essence then turn on the tv from standby....

.....which would be nice.

MM

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS