rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Bardum
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Bardum posted on Mon, Nov 6 2017 9:32 PM

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and sorry if my question already answered elsewhere.

I am looking to buy a set of BL5 and want to feed them in surround setup via PL into my BV Avant. Then for music I want to feed them via an Auralic Aries Streamer and the SPDIF Coax input.

Would that be possible or I am running into trouble ?

Thanks

All Replies

Mr 10Percent
Top 200 Contributor
Way Out West
297 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi, 

ran an almost identical setup for years like this with B&O gear only.

because you are not using 100% B&O in your setup, it may be a little more complicated and a little less straight forward for you. 

1. Connect Powerline from Avant to BL5

2. Connect SPdif from BL5 to your AA.

Coax carries the signal, Powerline carries volume and on/off control to the BL5.

3. You will have to configure thouse in the setup menu that the Powerlink is assigned to a A.Aux source or similar. 

On selection of this source, the Avant opens up as a preamp, you will then need to control your AA separately. 

All that hat should work (2 remote control solution) but as always be cautious of my advice as I have no specific experience with 5e properties of the AA

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 100 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
753 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Bardum,

Welcome to Beoworld!  Yes, you can use two inputs to the Beolab 5s at once, please use a fully wired RJ45 to Powerlink cable from the Avant (assuming that you have the 2014-onwards Avant, not the 1990's version!) to each speaker:-

https://www.soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/31-rj45-to-powerlink-compatible-all-in-one-cable-convert-new-2013-ethernet-powerlink-to-traditional-8-pin-din-powerlink.html

Please use an S/PDIF cable from the Co-ax output of the Aries to the first speaker, then another one between the two speakers:-

https://www.soundsheavenly.com/beolab-5-beolab-50-and-beolab-90/34--spdif-.html

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor the BeoWorld forums!

Bardum
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Steve

Bardum
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks; its the Avant from 2014 and with the Beoremote one. Do you know wich setting (option 1 or 4) the bl5 should be in to work for both input?

Also I read somewhere the remote can be programmed to act as the Beo4 / radio or CD button. If this is correct I should be able to turn the bl5 spdif input on/off via the beoremote ? If this is correct then leaving the Aries device on should give me access to feed the bl5 without involving the Avant ?

thanks for any advice on this setup

Beofile7
Not Ranked
31 Posts
Bronze Member

Option 4 will only control the volume (power) of the Beolab 5's independent of your Avant so making the PL inputs u/s. 

Option 1 will allow the Avant to control the Beolab 5's BUT they do need a signal from the Avant to turn on/off etc. Just connecting the Aries via co-ax will not turn them on.

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
2,675 Posts
Founder

As said before, you need fully wired RJ45 - DIN Powerlinkcables. You can use two of them straight from your Avant, or you can daisy chain your BL5s. In this case you need one RJ45-DIN cable and a DIN - DIN cable (fully wired). You find these cables in the Beolink handbook p.95.

An you will need two spdif cables . connect one cable with your AA streamer and the first BL5. You can daisy chain these too.

Now all data information will run through powerlink - volume control, source selection, on-off...

Set your BL5s to link option 0 (L.OPT0). Set your Avant to video option 2 (V.OPT2). If you select "CD", the BL5s will search for a digital signal, if it doesn`t find one, it will return to (analog) Powerlink signal. All other audio sources like RADIO, A.MEM, N.MUSIC... will select the Powerlink signal. You don`t need to - and can`t - turn the digital input on and off. This is hw it works with all Beovisions like the BV7/9, BS3. Should hopefully also work with newer BVs like BV14, Avant and TVs like Eclipse...

Hope this helps

Stefan

Bardum
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member

Ok thanks Stefan, I will try that.

Bardum
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
Bardum replied on Tue, Nov 14 2017 6:04 PM

Hi Stefan,

Need some guidance on this:

“Set your Avant to video option 2 (V.OPT2). If you select "CD"

Cant seem to find the option 2 (V.OPT2) ?

Can you help?

br

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS