Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Amazing choice of pre-owned Bang and Olufsen

Got a problem with the Forum?
then please email me at keith@beoworld.org with details

Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

How to change belts in the Beocord 5500

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Bando1
Not Ranked
3 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member
Bando1 posted on Thu, Nov 2 2017 9:24 PM

Hi everyone.  My name is Eto from Canada and I Just joined this site.  I have a Beocord 5500 along with other component of this series since the 90's that I bought used.  The cassette deck was used on and off and then stored since 2005 or so in a well controlled temperature and humidity.  I just got it out about a few weeks ago and it just played as good as the day I first got it.  However, it has to be 30 years old now at least so I am thinking maybe I should take a look at the belts and the tape mechanism for wear and tear, lube it and perform belts change perhaps.  I removed the 2 screws in the back and popped the lid but that was how far I would venture as I did not see any other screws to loose up to get to the innards.  Any suggestions, the belts I can get from a shop local here that still have some from the old days.  I know I could get the shop to put it in and perform the service for me but I would like to learn how to do it.  I am an average guy that can do some work my self.  Any helps would greatly appreciated.  And thank you for letting me join this wonderful site to keep the vintage B& O equipment alive!  

All Replies

Weebyx
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
818 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member

This might help you. However the tapedeck and belts might be different in the 5500.

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/13275/115112.aspx#115112

/Weebyx

Bando1
Not Ranked
3 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member

Hi Weebyx, thanks for the link.  Tried that out this morning and got to the point of removing all the red holders to the pcb boards and also the 2 metal bracings.  However, this is where I am stuck.  I could not get the front plate to move to get to the 2 screws on the side.  Providing this model has the same layout as the 7000 as I could not see any screws on the sides.  Looked in the bottom of the unit, I couldn't figure out how to remove the front plate either.  Any other helps would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Eto.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,627 Posts
OFFLINE
Founder
Moderator

I can supply correct (fresh - not old stock) belts for both tapedeck versions used in these Beocords.
Instructions (photos and english text) can be included with the belts.

Martin 

Weebyx
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
818 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member

Bando1:

Hi Weebyx, thanks for the link.  Tried that out this morning and got to the point of removing all the red holders to the pcb boards and also the 2 metal bracings.  However, this is where I am stuck.  I could not get the front plate to move to get to the 2 screws on the side.  Providing this model has the same layout as the 7000 as I could not see any screws on the sides.  Looked in the bottom of the unit, I couldn't figure out how to remove the front plate either.  Any other helps would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Eto.

I have never serviced a 5500, so I do not know if there are big differences, but what my images do no show, is to remove the big plastic piece with all the buttons, if you have gotten that off(it is held by 4 plastic clips only. 2 on the side of the unit, and then 2 just above the tape position. If you look carefully, it should be very obvious.

Then you could loosen the 2 screws to the front left and right, and you can tilt the front plate outwards. It do not need to come all off. After this, you can lift up the top PCB into service position, you might need to loosen some wires, or have another set of hans ready to hold it while you loosen the tape deck.

I can only recommend to buy a complete kit of belts and guide to change them, from Dillen. Old stock belts are also worn, and won't last for long.

/Weebyx

 

Bando1
Not Ranked
3 Posts
OFFLINE
Bronze Member

Hello and thanks again Weebyx for your help.  I got it opened now and found out that there is only 1 belt in the whole mechanism.  The belt is still ok but I could feel that it has been stretched and lost some of it's elasticity. I lubed/oiled a few places that I thought could help the moving parts to move without inducing too much frictions.  I also deoxited the motors and cleaned the flywheel and pulies with 99% isopropyl alcohol then reinstalled the belt.  All working well now but I think you and Dillen are right to get fresh belts than to use the old new stock ones.

And hi Dillen, I might need 2 belts from you along with a Din to RCA cable as I will be using this deck with other non-B&O equipment as well.

Dillen, can you email me with the price of the above mentioned items plus shipping to Canada.  

My contact email is in my profile.  Thank you you all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS