rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 0 Followers

peternovy
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Bronze Member
peternovy posted on Sun, Oct 29 2017 8:22 AM

Hi Everyone, 

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the following. I bought online a Beomaster900K in pristine condition (to the point that it had a protective film on the panel with buttons, I'm guessing it was there since new and the owner never took it off)

Then the shipping company managed to crush a corner of the cabinet... The photos are hard to look at but they are below.

Two furniture restoration places already told they will not do it since inside it is not wood but some form of particle board, so I might have to try to repair it myself. I was thinking about trying to gently and slowly try to pull the corner up using a clamp. If that would work I would gently sand the veneer and try to refinish (oil?).

But I am very worried the whole operation will make things even worse and the whole corner will break off. Does anyone have experience with things like this??? I will GREATLY appreciate any advice...

Piotr

All Replies

CB
Top 100 Contributor
> You are Here <
858 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 2:09 PM

peternovy:
But I am very worried the whole operation will make things even worse and the whole corner will break off.
Hi Piotr,

Yes, it's risky... and will look nice only if you really know what you're doing Erm..

If I was you, instead of trying to repair it, I'll try to dismantle the top and turn it 180° for the corner to be at the rear side of your BM900K.

Edit : oops, just had a look at the back side and it doesn't have the same finish as the front side Sad Sorry...

peternovy
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks! But indeed, I think flipping in any direction is not an option. 

I was hoping that perhaps someone here would know if there is anything that will make the corner softer -- such as heat or steam? Such boards are wood chips with glue, so perhaps some heat could make it softer and easier to deform.

Of course, I do have a plan how to heat that little piece only, gently, and not burn the whole BM :) but I am probably not willing to try it without someone confirming it has a chance of working.

peternovy
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Bronze Member

By the way, I just realized the inside of the cabinet is probably plywood -- this is what it looks like on the side, where a strip of veneer fell off. Is this correct?

peternovy
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Bronze Member

Ok, so after much research, preparations, tests etc. I took a day off my Dad came over to help and we made the some progress. A few photos of the process and the result should be below. Using a syringe with a 1.2 needle we injected as much glue as possible into all possible cracks. The glue I chose was Titebond III ultimate wood glue. There were several reasons for this: it has an open time of about 30 minutes, which would allow for taking things slowly; as long as it fresh one can wipe it off with a wet cloth; it is easy to sand down; and finally, it dries to a nice, light brown color, which is perhaps not an ideal match to the veneer, but it's close enough. 

After that we clamped the corner and pulled it up -- this was the biggest unknown in the whole operation, since I was worried the particle board will just break off and make things even worse -- but luckily this didn't happen and the we were able to pull up the corner nicely to the piece of plywood placed on top. Then wiped off the excess glue and waited approx. 24 hours. The result is quite ok, there is still some work to be done: I will have to play with the veneer since some parts of it got misplaced during the whole process, but the plan is to realign and reattach the pieces that got squeezed, fell off etc. So far the result is a bit better than I expected. There is hope that the damage in the end will not be too visible.

I could also greatly appreciate any advice if anyone here has any experience with refinishing the veneer on the cabinet. As the last step I am planning to sand (gently) the veneer - probably try 220 paper, perhaps 300, on the side and see how it looks. I have also coarser paper, but I don't want to go to coarse, and also have 500 and 1000. Then I think perhaps oil would be a good option? I have a bottle of Rustin's Danish Oil, but perhaps just boiled linseed oil would be better?

Also I am not entirely sure what would be the best way to reattach the speaker grill, as I don't want to attach it too permanently, to have an option to take out the speaker if needed.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any advice, or comments on this whole ordeal!

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,217 Posts
Gold Member

Not bad at all!

This page by Søren might be useful:

http://forum.beoworld.org/wikis/memberspages/wood-and-veneer-care.aspx

However, the surfaces on your cabinet look pretty good so you probably don't need all that. I have used fine grit sandpaper and finishing with regular teak oil with cabinets that don't have too many scratches or flower pot imprints.

If you plan to work further on that corner, finish all that before applying any oils though.

--mika

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,962 Posts
Bronze Member

Excellent work, to get the corner veneer better I would cut down the damaged parts with a router (or a Dremel) and fit new veneer cut to size and glued in place one side after the other. Observe the grain when cutting the new pieces, This way you will have to grind down the whole cabinet to natural wood color, if not you will get a color difference between new and old. I always use boiled linseed oil for the finish, I have tried with teak oil but it doesnt get as hard as the linseed oil and it has some tint in it making the wood a little darker.

For the speaker grill I would try with hook and loop tapes in the corners, evt. making 4 bases glued to the grill or the cabinet, to get the right distance to the front.

Amazing work with the corner color Smile me impressed

Soren

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,962 Posts
Bronze Member

Rosewood sanded, right side not sanded yet

Finished with linseed oil, beautiful grain

CB
Top 100 Contributor
> You are Here <
858 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Tue, Nov 14 2017 4:30 PM
Good job indeed !
peternovy:
Also I am not entirely sure what would be the best way to reattach the speaker grill, as I don't want to attach it too permanently, to have an option to take out the speaker if needed.
I fixed my grills with double sided foam tape, and colourded the (visible) side with a black marker.

If you need to remove the grills anytime, use a cutter in the width of the tape...

peternovy
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Bronze Member

Mika, Søren and CB -- thanks for the excellent advice!!! It is extremely  helpful! I will do as you suggest and refinish the veneer, there are some scratches on the top of the cabinet, and dry spots, that I would like to get rid of. I hope that when I'm done the damage will only be visible when looking at it up close. I bought this BM900K in excellent condition so it was frustrating to see it damaged by the shipping company.

In any case, a pair of Beovox 1600 to go together with it arrived yesterday. Søren, I've found your excellent post with lots of photos on how to renovate them, but so far still struggling with getting the grills off :)

Piotr

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,962 Posts
Bronze Member

Pry off the fronts with a screwdriver they are nailed to the cabinet (maybe some models are glued).

Beovox 1600 Mexico now with pics http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/1785/15574.aspx#15574

peternovy
Not Ranked
20 Posts
Bronze Member

Great pics! I'll try to get the grills off during the weekend. Here is a photo of mine, they are in pretty good condition, except a couple of slightly chipped corners. But they do have the little gold B&O logos! And they sound great!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS