RCA cable question....hum involved...

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 1 Follower

starkiller
Not Ranked
38 Posts
Bronze Member
starkiller posted on Sat, Sep 16 2017 12:34 AM

Have a hum in the RCA cable where it splits before going into the phono pre..can I just cut it off in front of the split and splice in a new set of plugs??

All Replies

solderon29
Top 200 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
322 Posts
Gold Member

Can you give some more info about what you are connecting?

It seems as though you are connecting a (B&O?)turntable to something,using an adaptor cable?

If so,you need to be aware that B&O turntables use double screened connecting cable,and many adaptors don't allow for this,hence hum is present!

Regards,

Nick

starkiller
Not Ranked
38 Posts
Bronze Member

The TX2 has rca cables, these plug into the back of my phono pre....right after the cable splits, about 3" before the plugs, I can sometimes wiggle that area and reduce the hum...

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,062 Posts
Founder

The TX2 should have a chassis ground cable as well as the two rca plugs. You should connect the ground cable to the chassis of the pre amp. This will get rid of any hum.

Regards Graham

starkiller
Not Ranked
38 Posts
Bronze Member

The ground is grounded to the ground point on the preamp...

solderon29
Top 200 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
322 Posts
Gold Member

It seems that you have an intermittent signal ground connection?

I think you will have to remake the connection using new connectors.Are you confident with soldering?

Nick

starkiller
Not Ranked
38 Posts
Bronze Member

Soldering is not possible unless I wish to burn the house down :)  Have peripheral neuropathy in fingers and hands....when the hum starts, if I reach around and move the part of the cable right in back of the preamp the hum stops...thus I am thinking of cutting the cable there and adding new connectors...do they HAVE to be soldered?

solderon29
Top 200 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
322 Posts
Gold Member

Sorry to hear of your predicament sir.

I don't think there is an RCA connector that can be fitted without soldering.Do you have anyone who could do the work for you,say a local enthusiast or repair shop?

Nick

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul, Minnesota
400 Posts
Gold Member
starkiller:

Soldering is not possible unless I wish to burn the house down :) Have peripheral neuropathy in fingers and hands....when the hum starts, if I reach around and move the part of the cable right in back of the preamp the hum stops...thus I am thinking of cutting the cable there and adding new connectors...do they HAVE to be soldered?

Not the best option at all but might help you with the trouble shooting...

Cerrxian Speaker Phono RCA Male to 2 Screw Terminal Strip Audio Video Spring Press Type Balum Connector Adapter (2-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X6GLBVK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5mj3zbQ4ZB9K0

Peter-

trackbeo
Not Ranked
18 Posts
Bronze Member

solderon29:
I don't think there is an RCA connector that can be fitted without soldering.

On amazon (e.g.), I see three choices: One is ASIN B01DRQF72Y  (just search for ASIN numbers like any other item name), which has two tiny screw terminals on the back end, just like a B&O 2-pin DIN speaker connector.  The other is a crimp-on which still requires fine motor skills, but no soldering: ASIN B01DRQF2R4.  There's even one with tiny spring-loaded clips, ASIN B01LYV4AWL.  (I wouldn't trust the spring-loaded connector for the long term.) 

Note the following bugs with all of these: (i) soldering and especially wrapping the shield conductor on low-level audio signals is bound to work better, last longer without corrosion, and avoid spurious signal infiltration; (ii) these are all sold by third-party Chinese amazon sellers with weird, always-changing, company names so they may not be highest quality; (iii) the physical form factor is always bigger than an RCA plug so you might not have enough width on the panel to plug two in.  These components were all intended for speaker-level signals, to plug speaker wire into a subwoofer which has a single RCA phono plug input, so they are not careful about infiltration.  The crimp-on looks the cleanest to me from a shielding point of view, but it's hard to beat the convenience of screw-down terminals -- try one and if it doesn't hum when you've screwed them down, call yourself lucky, and done!

[Edit: sorry, just saw the Growler's post, which is a fine example of the spring-loaded version, also showing yet another randomly-named "brand".]

starkiller
Not Ranked
38 Posts
Bronze Member

Hmm, I think I prefer the crimp-on ones...less bulk for the room issues I know I will have in back of the phono pre..have reached out to a few folks around here to see if they can replace the entire cable which of course is really what I prefer...

thanks for the ideas everyone!

starkiller
Not Ranked
38 Posts
Bronze Member

Would it be better to find a set of cables with good plugs and cutting those instead and then splicing the two cables together??

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS