The day the music died:(

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 349
Bronze Member
Stan Posted: Sat, Jul 15 2017 4:26 PM
Lightning struck behind my home while I was out of town this week. Wife and kids were quite excited by the boom and sparks, but the initial damage report was that a couple strings of outdoor lights got fried. Luckily, all the pool equipment survived (unlike my neighbor that lost a pool pump).

Then, they noticed the BV8 turned on, but no picture. Tried unplugging/resetting, no luck. Ok, I'm down a tv... not happy, but could have been worse.

Now, after further investigation, it seems some stray voltage got into my master link. None of my linked devices respond. Ok, unplugged everything, waited, plugged in one by one. Nothing! My BS9000 works, but will not talk to my BS5. I took the Bs9000 out of the picture (unplugged and set the bs5 as audio master and connected speakers) - it starts, but then turns off the speakers shortly after the music starts. Took the bs5 out of the loop and still none of the link devices work. My BLC does not show up in BeoSetup app.

Sure, there was no fire, structural damage or injury, but everything (bs9000, bs5, bv8, beolink, BLC, bl3500) but the Essence is broken. Nothing else inside is damaged (although it also set off our home alarm), just all my B&O. Not a happy camper right now

Stan
Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,498
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Jul 15 2017 4:56 PM

If it starts, it makes me think that there is a short somewhere and that the protection circuit is cutting in. Have you tried the audio devices just using headphones?

Peter

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 349
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Jul 15 2017 5:28 PM

There very well could be a short in the ML, but there is no problem with the speakers. I used the same speakers and speaker cables with the bs9000 (works fine) and bs5 (turns off after a few seconds).  My next test is to hook a bl active directly to the bs9000 with equipment currently not in use.

Stan

Ricardo
Top 150 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 409
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sat, Jul 15 2017 9:35 PM

a client of mine had a similar experience after a storm some years back. In the end they had to replace about half of the cables. but not any components or link boxes.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,084
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sun, Jul 16 2017 8:35 AM

Very sad to read about your beloved B&O loss! Hope you get it all fixed soon.

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 349
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sun, Jul 16 2017 8:42 PM

As a last chance diagnosis (hoping for a simple cable fix vs equipment failure),  I connected an unused beolink active to the bs9000 with an unused ML cable.  No response from the linked product Sad.  Looks like a trip to the repair shop is in my near future.  The Bs9000 mostly works (and is iconic) so it is probably worthy of repair.  Not so sure about the BV8 (no picture) or BS5 (no masterlink and turns speakers off after a few seconds).

Stan

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS