rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 1 Follower

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
6,438 Posts
Founder
9 LEE posted on Thu, Jul 13 2017 8:57 PM

... all seems to be a way of venting for ignored and upset customers.  Is this what a premium brand should have happening to them?

B&O's Facebook Page

One star after one star after one star...

Someone should be watching and managing this, surely?

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,328 Posts
Bronze Member

@KMA

Indeed the facebook sites for Bang & Olufsen and BeoPlay are two different sites.

As for your hope (which I personally would share) for a Bang Olufsen platform without the SmartTV part, I guess there is little hope.

The complete 'tv/picture experience' will come from LG, which means the WebOS platform - Struer will have little influence on that.

In the tv world there has been a shift from 'source-based' (as we saw it in e.g the BV11) to 'content-based' experiences. This means that a tv must have some sort of SmartTV function nowadays. 

As an example the good old tv channels are no longer regarded as channels from this or that distributor (BBC, ARD, DR-TV....), but as a place to find content, just like if you are looking for content on YouTube or Netflix or Amazon or the NAS on the local network. People want to (so the smart guys tell us) search across all platforms available for what the want to consume.

(And yes, I agree - relying on Android as a reliable platform was a mistake).

As for the 'Listening & Wieving panel' - these person were never 'hired persons'.

They simply were employes at B&O in Struer, who partly did this.

To some extend they still do - at least on the audio part.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
391 Posts
Gold Member
KMA replied on Sun, Jul 16 2017 1:59 AM
@Millemissen

Yeah, I hope B&O will get out of Android. However, it seems they have to go with the platform(s) of their panel suppliers these days: WebOS for LG's OLED, Android (?) for TP Vision. The old business model, where panels & OS were separate, was better.

IMO, they should have never abandoned the BV11 / 4k Avant 1st Gen Video Engine platform. It's been all downhill from that point: Horizon, BV14, Avant NG.

I may be naive, but give me a panel with good picture processing (as there was in BV11 with Samsung's panel), a working AV setup (we had it pre-Android), NL that works (we have it, but the Android-based terminals such as BS Moment do not work) and let us choose the "smart" add-ons. Apple TV / Chromecast work for me. There is NO reason to built a BV on Android.

As for BS Moment... B&O should just discontinue it. We can have all the same functionality on our tablets, with Essence / BS Shape's Core as the hardware that bridges the Moodwheel 'et all' to B&O's speakers. Build the Moodwheel in a B&O app. Yes, the wooden side of Moment is nice – but really, with any tablet (that would have the Moodwheel interface in an app) and the Essence 'wheely' tactile remote, you'd have the same overall experience.

I fear that B&O is in too deep in a new hardware & software mix & match matrix that nothing will work as it used to work.

When did it spin out of control? In my view of 20+ years of B&O: after BV11/4k Avant, and with BS Moment.

They should step back and re-think, separately, the infrastructure & UI (or user access points that make the daily user experience). Their infrastructure (NL/ML) works, the UI access points and "smart stuff" do not. Why? Make a multi-room setup with BeoSounds (including BeoPlay A6, A9 and M5) and BeoVisions that do NOT have any Android implementations... and Voilá.

- BeoSound Essence

- BeoSound Shape

- BeoVision 11 / Avant (non-Android)

- any BeoLabs

- BeoSound 35

- BeoSound 1 & 2

- BeoPlay A9 / A6 / M5

- any "legacy" BeoSound, such as BS9000 or BS32000.

...and you have a working setup.

Introduce any of these in the setup:

- Horizon, BV14, Avant NG

- BeoSound Moment

...and you ruin the Bang & Olufsen experience. And the common nominator is...? Yep, it's that obvious.

There's the perfect forest, ruined by only a few very bad trees.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
349 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sun, Jul 16 2017 5:43 PM
Interesting feedback about Android, KMA. I have heard others "in the business" express similar sentiments. I also experience my own (and family's) Android phone devolve over time to laggy frustration. From a $500 phone, this is annoying. From a $8000+ tv, it in unacceptable. There's a trend identified as the "crapification" of tech. B&O was my harbor from this storm - perhaps webos is not the android nightmare.

Timely feedback, too, since a lightning strike may have pushed me into the market for a BV8 and BS5 replacement. After reading this, and other feedback on this site, I will scratch the Horizon and Moment off my list (sadly).Sad

Stan
Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,107 Posts
Founder

The biggest surprise to me is that this many people are surprised!

I think b&o treat the majority of the play range as cheap, quick turnover product where they can release lots of products in quick succession to generate lots of new sales and then discontinue them at the same alarming rate.

The reality is that while they may be less expensive than anything the "grown up" brand has to offer they are still expensive compared to most of their direct competitors in the market and as such should be properly supported both in the design (I.e. not releasing half funished, ill conceived products with disparate non-compatible features without a sense of a unified brand strategy) and also in after sales service.

Those that make their first tentative purchase are unlikely to be back if it booms like its inside a tea chest and it cant b altered or as, in Lee's case, you're thrown under a bus should it fail

Ban boring signatures!

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,006 Posts
Gold Member

Not being a Facebook user I was unaware of any of this. However, looking at the half page that Facebook will allow me to view without subscribing, I have to say that many of the one star reviews look well reasoned and justified. It's not something that B&O PR should be trying to manage.... it needs addressing by retailers and quality control at B&O itself.

Graham

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
2,507 Posts
Gold Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Jul 16 2017 7:48 PM

Puncher:

The biggest surprise to me is that this many people are surprised!

I think b&o treat the majority of the play range as cheap, quick turnover product where they can release lots of products in quick succession to generate lots of new sales and then discontinue them at the same alarming rate.

The reality is that while they may be less expensive than anything the "grown up" brand has to offer they are still expensive compared to most of their direct competitors in the market and as such should be properly supported both in the design (I.e. not releasing half funished, ill conceived products with disparate non-compatible features without a sense of a unified brand strategy) and also in after sales service.

Those that make their first tentative purchase are unlikely to be back if it booms like its inside a tea chest and it cant b altered or as, in Lee's case, you're thrown under a bus should it fail

Well said Puncher! I find myself in complete agreement, especially with your description of the Play approach.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,107 Posts
Founder

vikinger:

Not being a Facebook user I was unaware of any of this. However, looking at the half page that Facebook will allow me to view without subscribing, I have to say that many of the one star reviews look well reasoned and justified. It's not something that B&O PR should be trying to manage.... it needs addressing by retailers and quality control at B&O itself.

Graham

I would very much hope that it would be illegal to modify, edit or remove genuine user negative reviews,. By all means have the right of reply but either don't ask or else be prepared to live with what people genuinely think!

Ban boring signatures!

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS