rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Mike Rudinsky
Not Ranked
Seattle, WA USA
10 Posts
Silver Member
Mike Rudinsky posted on Wed, Jul 12 2017 2:21 AM

I have had this Beomaster 8000 for a few months after purchasing it on Ebay locally.  The previous owner had said he recently brought it in for a service and to solve a few issues before selling.  During my time it has operated perfectly as far as I could tell with a crisper sound when compared to the BM2000 new style.

Symptoms:

1. Plug in and wait 15 minutes.  Standby light is on.
  2. Turn on by hitting 0 and select P3 or any other P.  I only hear the distinctive two clicks while powering up.
  3. Clipping light and Filter light comes on.  This one is intermittent.  But Clicking the Filter Button causes same if powering up did not.
  4. Turn off receiver and note Signal-Multipath meter still indicates almost what it did earlier.  Maintains that indication for a few minutes or until I unplug receiver from wall.

I believe it originally started associated by pushing the Filters button.  Volume went very loud, Clipping and Filter lights indicated...

I have disconnected speakers and am using headphones to test.  I will open it up and look around but thought I would post to see if there is something obvious I should look for?

All Replies

Mike Rudinsky
Not Ranked
Seattle, WA USA
10 Posts
Silver Member

Pictures of BM8000 with symptoms.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,712 Posts
Gold Member

My favorite B&O receiver (although I do like quite a few of the Beomaster models so it's hard to really choose a favorite). I still have mine working daily after restoring it back in 2013. Here is the link to that restoration project. It can give you some idea of the scope of work you could be in for. Well worth the effort in my opinion and I have done a few more of those since then. Your symptoms don't sound unusual but without actually looking at the unit and testing it I wouldn't venture to guess at the specific cause. I would just be wary of its true condition when you got it. Do you have details of the work that was previously performed? How knowledgeable was the person that did the repairs?  Maybe you can contact and talk to them. There are tons of stories here on the forum by contributors on the Workbench having to correct service repairs attempted by other people. My advice would be to fully check out the Beomaster 8000 in detail to determine what is original inside, what has been replaced and what type of restoration will be necessary to make it new again. If that can't be determined I would go ahead and plan to fully restore it. That way you will know it is operating in the manner it is supposed to. Otherwise how do you know that your Beomaster 8000 is fully operational or just limping along?

-sonavor

Mike Rudinsky
Not Ranked
Seattle, WA USA
10 Posts
Silver Member

Sonavor, Thanks very much for the reply and the link.  I had read it previously, but had forgotten.  It was good to review.  I will contact the previous guy who worked on it. I believe I had talked to the B&O store and they mentioned him as just working on one at the time of the Ebay sale....

Lee
Top 100 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
690 Posts
Silver Member
Lee replied on Wed, Jul 12 2017 6:36 PM
Hi Mike,

The signal meter behaviour is completely normal on this model so no need to worry about that.

The clipping obviously is not right
Mike Rudinsky
Not Ranked
Seattle, WA USA
10 Posts
Silver Member

Hi Lee, Thanks for the reply and info. I had guessed it was normal once I saw it eventually drop to 0, but great to have that confirmed.

Mike Rudinsky
Not Ranked
Seattle, WA USA
10 Posts
Silver Member

I have gotten the BM8000 open and attached this photo.

Can I discern whether much work has been done re caps via their color, shape?

I did notice that this one also has those wire Scotchlok connectors as well.

Sorry for the picture. please click to see the whole thing.  I have to re learn how to do pictures when my originals are over two meg.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,712 Posts
Gold Member

Try to zoom into an area you want to show and get a picture of that. Then use a tool like Photoshop to further crop the image to exactly what you want to show. Finally, resize the image to a size compatible with the Beoworld web site. I generally try to get the viewing area between 650 to 700 pixels. However, there are times when you need to go a bit wider and let the viewer click on the picture to open it all the way.

Anyway, about your picture, that's a decent start. The four main reservoir capacitors for the power supply look original. The few other capacitors in the picture do too. The real guts of what is going on with your Beomaster are further down. I would guess that any servicing that has been done on the receiver was just to repair specific failed problems. The Beomaster is most likely still running with original components. That could be a good thing. If most of it is undisturbed then the current problems are probably just issues that naturally occur with age (as opposed to problems introduced by someone messing things up). 

When you opened up the Beomaster for servicing were the three flat copper springs present under the metal bar that locks down the panels (and is used to open the control panel lid)? I am just curious because a lot of these Beomaster units I have come across often have one, two or all three missing. Also, is the lid damper intact and working? 

-sonavor

Mike Rudinsky
Not Ranked
Seattle, WA USA
10 Posts
Silver Member

Hi Sonavor: Thanks for your reply and info.  I did see many of the red capacitors which I think are old.  This might mean that a full packet from Dillon is in order.....  LOL.

I found some internet instructions on how to open from a chap named Rich that were very helpful.

Re the springs, I know exactly what you speaking about.  I was surprised that I only had one of them show up during un-assembly.  I had read about others finding only one when expecting more.  

Re the damper it is there and fine.  Taking the screws and then metal plates off was a little problem.  One plate was sort of submerged under the fixture so it took so pulling to get it out.  Once out the hinge came out, nicely, including the anchor pins.  The lid damper worked out as well.  I hooked my finger around it and tried to pull it out directly back.  The other method that might have worked better was to remove it via the bottom side of the damper, by moving it sideways after turning it.

Either way it came off and was not damaged.  When putting it back I may put a drop of oil/grease on it to have it click easier.  I did the same on the CDX I placed a new CD plate on earlier.

I will see what progress I make tomorrow....

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,712 Posts
Gold Member

That sounds good. I'm glad your door hinge lever isn't broken. A lot of them are. You don't have Beoworld messaging enabled so I sent you a Beoworld email with a link to a more recent Beomaster 8000 restoration I did this year. It has some good pictures and information you might find useful.

-sonavor

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS