Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 1 Follower

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,059 Posts
Bronze Member
BenSA posted on Sat, Jun 24 2017 11:23 AM

Hi

One of my Beolab 4000 MK2 speakers has developed a problem. it keeps blowing a cap on the amp board. With the help of a friend we managed to trace the issue to the power supply board. There is no -12V output on pins 4 and 5. it seems impossible to trace which component is at fault. Anyone have any ideas or does someone have a board to sell me?

Thanks

Ben

All Replies

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,059 Posts
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Wed, Jun 28 2017 2:16 PM

solderon29:

Thanks for sharing info,that costing makes the repair "do-able",although I imagine when you factor in labour costs,it  could be at least double that if the work were done by a B&O service agent ?

Check the tweeter before fitting and powering up the new modules?

Regards,

Nick

Thanks Nick, my friend who was helping me with the repair said he checked but I will make sure  we check the tweeter again. I expected the cost for two modules to be a lot more so it was a pleasant surprise. Also i really like the speakers so its worth it for me and also I am able to fit the modules myself which I am sure brings down the cost substantially. A friend will bring them to South Africa from the UK on the 14th July so not too long to wait. 

Thanks

Ben

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
1,059 Posts
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Mon, Jul 17 2017 10:28 AM

Just an update concerning my Beolab 4000. Although mine are the Mk2 and doesn't have the black foam....it does have the black foam wrapped around the wiring. You wouldn't think that it would cause a problem as there isn't much of that foam but on  checking under a magnifying glass, the foam has disintegrated partially leaving gunk around the components. I would suggest that anyone with a MK2 should open and clean their 4000's and replace the black foam with a more suitable foam. This is what definitely caused my speaker to fail. 

Page 2 of 2 (17 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS