Beomaster 6500 trouble

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

mpr5231
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
mpr5231 posted on Mon, Jun 19 2017 5:03 PM

I have a 30 year old Beomaster 6500 that has worked flawlessly until now.  Playing music last night, it suddenly shut off, accompanied by a faint burning smell and a small amount of smoke coming out of the unit.  Now if I try to power it back on, it comes on for about two seconds, during which I can hear a low hum from the speakers, and then it shuts itself off.  

Any insight is hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

All Replies

mpr5231
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
mpr5231 replied on Fri, Jun 23 2017 12:58 AM

Anyone? Just unsure what to check - I'm guessing the fuse is good because it still powers on, however briefly...

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
990 Posts
Founder

It might help if you specified your skill level with regard to electronic repairs.  There is a service manual available on site for silver and gold members.

mpr5231
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member

I'd describe my abilities as intermediate I think. Comfortable with a multimeter and electrical wiring, limited soldering experience though

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,363 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Jun 23 2017 6:33 AM

Sounds like a case of self-oscillation.
Check the condition of the RC-filter on the amplifier outputs as this is where the smoke could have come from.
Replace capacitors in the low-voltage power supply regulator circuits.

If at some point you removed the four polyester capacitors suggested by some people as an "upgrade", put them back in before you power up again.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS