Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to tell us about your new email address

Beovision 14-55 buy now or wait for LG update?

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Bronze Member
lonfred Posted: Wed, Apr 19 2017 6:29 PM
I have received an quite good offer for a new BV 14-55 but I have read in this forum about several Software problem and also that there soon will come an update with an LG screen. So the question is if it is worth to wait for the update or if the actual one now is good enough?
Sandyb
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Apr 19 2017 7:00 PM

the Bv14 certainly looks fabulous.....we don't know what the design / form factor of the LG's will be like, though given they are based on the E series, it may be relatively straightforward by comparison to the 14..........i have a 14, and i do love the look of it more and more........but of course its software problems have been patience testing to put it mildly, though they seem to be more or less there (communication between the remote and the TV can break down)....

in the end if picture quality is the prominent feature for you, then you may want to wait for the LG screens, coming with 4K HDR etc as opposed to just straight 4K (14 / Avant NG).......

assuming the software will have fewer issues initially compared to the Horizon / 14 / Avant NGs running Android, they should be the better modern TV investment.....form factor / design being the only question where it may well fall a bit short of the 14 design......

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 1,858
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Apr 19 2017 10:22 PM
An OLED Avant / BV14 is fully possible. Remember, a B&O tv is more than a panel. Sound, processing, inputs and outputs and multiple stand options. I don't think they will go all in thin but keep the current designs and evolve them.

I do believe a new BV12 will be released as well : a slick super thin oled with a thin speaker underneath that has a Beosystem 5 box connected via a single HDBaseT-cable. This will make it very easy to hide the box somewhere else in your house using in-wall cabling. Since HDBaseT can transport data, video, audio and networking over one single RJ45 cable. This I think will be marvelous.
kuyttendaele
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 290
Founder

I have a BV14-40.

Lots of software bugs have been ironed out. Very happy with my set at the moment. Never had remote issues; did have picture quality and sound issues... but after 3 software updates I'm a happy customer again!

Karel.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 4,170
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Apr 20 2017 10:11 AM

lonfred:
I have received an quite good offer for a new BV 14-55 but I have read in this forum about several Software problem and also that there soon will come an update with an LG screen. So the question is if it is worth to wait for the update or if the actual one now is good enough?

Or maybe wait for the LG TV and the BV14 might see a reduction/special offer. I'd be tempted to wait.

I still have - and am very happy with - my BV12-65, despite this being years old now. But it also shows, if you buy the right B&O TV, you can keep it for many years without feeling the need for a replacement. I think if I bought a BV14 now and the OLED blows me away, I'd have a nagging doubt that I should have waited.

We should know something next month, if I remember correctly? I think dealers get to see a preview of the new OLED TV in May? No? Roger?

lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Bronze Member
lonfred replied on Thu, Apr 20 2017 12:01 PM
Hi

Thanks for all feedback. Not easy this one. I really like the design of BV14 so if the new one is much different then i still think I will go fot the BV14... But Maybe better to wait a month and the actual BV14 will for sure not be more expensive.... I just sold my lovely BV10-46 so I need a new TV....

Sandyb
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Apr 20 2017 12:16 PM

Oh so you had a BV10.....why did you sell out of interest? 

just my opinion, but the initial LG screens will not look anything like the BV10/11/14.......though one day, there may be an OLED (LG) version.....i suspect for reasons of not confusing their TV product portfolio, the Avant / Horizon / BV14 will remain for a while (as LCD / LED offerings), alongside the OLED choice.........

beotex
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
beotex replied on Thu, Apr 20 2017 3:48 PM
Having just listened to the B&O Q3 Interim Report, it sounds like the recent TV refresh is meant to last for some months, and they had little news on the LG partnership. I've been hesitating on an Avant NG, but think I may go forward since the software issues look to be getting resolved and I don't see anything imminent from LG (nor do we know specs, design, sizes, etc). I could wait for eternity always thinking about what gets released next...
BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,179
Gold Member
BeoGreg replied on Thu, Apr 20 2017 4:21 PM
B&O oled tv, one of the most kept secret ever...

lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Bronze Member
lonfred replied on Thu, Apr 20 2017 7:46 PM
I am missing the 46 alternative. 55 feels to big and 40 to small. Now I regret that I sold my BV10-46.... Then I also sold my Beolab 9 and now I am Reading about Problems with the Beolab 20.... so now I regret that too.... In fact I sold my house including 16 ML products so I need to buy a lot of new things But it looks a bit problematic these days with a lot of BETA software...
Sandyb
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 340
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Apr 20 2017 8:23 PM

wow, all change for you then.....

i'm a relative newbie to all this, but am very happy with my main setup in my lounge (BV12-65 / BS4, with BL18s, BL3s, and a BL119 sub)....all works marvellously........wasnt aware of problems with the BL20's, don't see too many posts about that.....supposed to sound very good though, aren't they?  Not all bad though, depending on what kit you need they have brought out some decent (among the plethora) one point speakers, which i use in secondary rooms.....my A9 and BS2 are excellent, though not cheap......but work really well in a bedroom and kitchen.......

as for the new TVs, they seem to be there or there about....and actually, while i'm quite averse to anything Android, the UI is fine....and now some of the missing features have been added (most anyway), having the old B&O functionality with a few modern twists (i Google cast my Podcasts to the BV14) ends up a pretty decent experience.......the new OLEDs will be large i believe, so i wouldn't expect a 46inch B&O OLED, in case you were thinking that way......amazing how average screen sizes seem to continually drift ever higher.....

lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Bronze Member
lonfred replied on Thu, Apr 20 2017 8:48 PM
I believe I will go for the BV14-55 I will order it tomorrow. Then I will add Beolab 20 as front and Beolab 3 as rear... Lets see how it works....
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 2,390
Gold Member
lonfred:

I believe I will go for the BV14-55 I will order it tomorrow. Then I will add Beolab 20 as front and Beolab 3 as rear... Lets see how it works....

And you can order the BL3 "final edition"

Why not the BL17 as rears then they can talk wirelessly to the TV whereas the BL3 can't without adding another box.
Duels
Top 75 Contributor
England
Posts 1,264
Gold Member
Duels replied on Fri, Apr 21 2017 9:25 AM
lonfred:

I am missing the 46 alternative. 55 feels to big and 40 to small. Now I regret that I sold my BV10-46.... Then I also sold my Beolab 9 and now I am Reading about Problems with the Beolab 20.... so now I regret that too.... In fact I sold my house including 16 ML products so I need to buy a lot of new things But it looks a bit problematic these days with a lot of BETA software...

You could go for an 11-46. It would be a step up from your 10-40 in terms of picture size and quality and also sound.
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 2,390
Gold Member
Duels:

You could go for an 11-46. It would be a step up from your 10-40 in terms of picture size and quality and also sound.

+1
lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Bronze Member
lonfred replied on Fri, Apr 21 2017 10:13 AM
Are they still selling the 11-46? What is the differece between the 11 and 14? I dont know if I am a fan of this Android thing so Maybe 11 is a better choice... will NL multi room be available at the 11 range?
Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 1,344
Gold Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Apr 21 2017 10:53 AM
lonfred:

Are they still selling the 11-46? What is the differece between the 11 and 14? I dont know if I am a fan of this Android thing so Maybe 11 is a better choice... will NL multi room be available at the 11 range?

Main difference is a 4K screen and Android.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 2,390
Gold Member
Hiort:

And I think the wifi is better in the 14

But the 11 is a good tv and integrates perfectly with NL
kuyttendaele
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 290
Founder

Aussie Michael:
Hiort:

And I think the wifi is better in the 14

But the 11 is a good tv and integrates perfectly with NL

Indeed.. BV14 has AC Wifi (which makes it faster than the 100Mbit Ethernet connection it also has)

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 383
Gold Member
KMA replied on Fri, Apr 21 2017 3:14 PM
Duels:

Indeed. BV11 – solid performer. In my 5 years of ownership, it never had any issues.

With the newer audio/video engine, stable software and 3-way speakers, the BV11-46 is positively in a different league than the older tech BV10. UHD is mostly overkill in 46" size, and the BV11 has a superb 1.5D local dimming panel.

My recommendation would be to get it while it's still in the BV portfolio, if 46" is the sweet spot in size.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Duels
Top 75 Contributor
England
Posts 1,264
Gold Member
Duels replied on Fri, Apr 21 2017 4:33 PM
lonfred:

Are they still selling the 11-46?

I believe so. And it is still on the main B&O website as a current product.
lonfred
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 165
Bronze Member
lonfred replied on Sat, Apr 22 2017 10:56 AM
Thanks for your reply. I will ask for an offer of an BV11-46. Lets see how it looks compared to the BV14-55.

I hate faulty software. I hav a complete new Range Rover Vogue with a lot of software problems so if it also ends up with this kind of problems with a television then I will get crazy...
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 2,390
Gold Member
lonfred:

Thanks for your reply. I will ask for an offer of an BV11-46. Lets see how it looks compared to the BV14-55.

I hate faulty software. I hav a complete new Range Rover Vogue with a lot of software problems so if it also ends up with this kind of problems with a television then I will get crazy...

Agreed but also look at the size. Although we say the 46 is good cos it is however I'm not sure I could do a TV lower than that.

I really really really love the BV 11 46 but also the screen tech is older obviously. So make sure you compare them with the source you would normally watch in the shop if you can.

Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS