Playing and fast forward tape cassettes are slow

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Ludwig
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
Ludwig posted on Sun, Apr 16 2017 5:19 PM

Happy Easter to you all. I'm trying to fix my fathers BEOcenter 7000 tape cassette player (record player is OK and replaced the drive belt as well). When you play a cassette it doesn't run at a constant speed and slows down and speeds up again. So went on EBay and got a replacement drive belt kit that replaced the fly wheel and motor drive belts. I did notice that the motor drive belt in the kit was a bit thinner and square instead of being round. Still same problem, so registered on this sight and Dillen sent me the idler rubber wheels kit to replace all four idler wheels successfully. It has marginally helped but not cured the issue. Rewind works really fast. I think the issue is the motor drive belt as thinner and being a square format and therefore less rubber surface on the drive wheel and therefore less grip i.e. slipping/not gripping enough to drive the tape cassette? Does anyone agree or can provide further help or recommend a better/correct motor drive belt please? Many thanks for your help in advance.

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,647 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Apr 17 2017 1:05 PM

The belt is not the problem. The square belt is used for Wind and Rewind (not play).
Check the spools (reel tables). They can often seize in dry lubricants.
Check that you got the arms with the reel brakes (three in total) correcty fitted.

Martin

Ludwig
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Bronze Member
Ludwig replied on Sat, Apr 22 2017 3:27 PM

Hi

Thanks for getting back. I have checked that drives and move freely.

Not sure what you mean by spools/reel tables? Do you have a drawing or photo on items you are referring to please?

Maybe the reels you mean are the drive shafts that go up through the two tape holes that drives the tape and FF/RW?

when I manually try and turn the left and right reels, you can hear that it's rubbing against groved plastic wheels. I guess this is normal?

I do see that there is a white cloth pad on the left reel and maybe rubbing when playing? There's no cloth break on right reel.

Please advise and if anything else to check.

Many thanks for your efforts.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS