Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to tell us about your new email address

Beomaster 6000 Quad

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 99 Replies | 0 Followers

Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member
Craig posted on Sat, Apr 15 2017 4:40 PM

Finally getting around to this machine, now I have enough speakers to connect to it! I already had a good look at it cosmetically when it was kindly gifted to me by Peter....looked good then and still does.


All Replies

Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Back in place.....need to refit the presets and choose my next target


Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,486 Posts
OFFLINE
Founder
Moderator
Peter replied on Thu, May 11 2017 7:52 PM

I did have the 6000 repaired when I bought it and have found the repair bill from 2002 when it was done. It needed 4x220 Ohm presets, 8x 0.12 Ohm 2.5W resistors7x 12v wedge lamps and 1 sundry!! The parts bill was £23.20 and the labour was £54. Including VAT, the bill came to £90.71. I'll keep it for you and you can have it along with the Beocord 5000 when I see you next! The work was done by the services department of J.G.Windows and they would essentially try to fix anything and I am sure did some things for the love of it and charged me very little. It has to be said that they drew the line at the Beocord 5000!

Peter

Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member
Craig replied on Thu, May 11 2017 9:28 PM

I recognise the presets and wire wound resistors from the power amp...the lamps will be from the illuminated ribbon indicators...wonder what on earth the "sundry" was all about. Its a shame such service departments no longer exist, at least not that I know of....we had a McKenna & Brown store in Stockton that was the Sony agent....they had a cracking service department over the river in Thornaby, very knowledgeable engineers. 

 

  • Filed under:
Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

I have replaced the presets and indicating levers but found a spacer in the bottom of the casing and have no idea how it goes back in, had the devil of a job getting the presets in actually, until I realised that the fixing bracket holding the wheels slid back and forth......so will need to figure out where the spacer goes....in the meantime the EL Switch PCB is next in line.......lots of dust here with it being on the top, there is also footprints in the form of white jumper leads that have been part of a previous repair.


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Switch board all cleaned up and caps replaced


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

As far as I can see the switch contacts look good, no external signs of corrosion, what you can see internally is limited even with a magnifier...however when operated there are no crackles or signs of the contacts sticking.


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Motor control board next...as with the EL Switch board lots of dust has accumulated on the topside....no components to replace here though so just a good clean is all that's required.


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Remote control receiver board next, came out very easily, bit dusty but otherwise looks good, don't know if this works as the commander requires a battery....got one on order.


Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,486 Posts
OFFLINE
Founder
Moderator
Peter replied on Mon, May 15 2017 8:29 PM

Certainly worked last time the Beomaster was active. Being ultrasonic, it is not like using a Beolink 1000 though as very directional - you can bounce the sound waves off plates though!

Peter

Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Whilst awaiting delivery of the last 0.1uf caps for the remote control board I decided to start the rebuild of the indicator tapes using Rudys new V clamps, it is a bit fiddly but I found a couple of pieces of blu tack holding the tapes in place helped 


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

The rest went quite smoothly once I had gained a little confidence that the V clips were not going to snap under pressure from a pair of engineers pliers


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Finished up on the remote control board and slotted it back into place, followed by the motor/clutch frame complete with tapes. This proved a bit of a challenge too, ensuring that none of the irritating single strand wires snapped under the stress of re assembly


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

At this point I had to have a further check around under the magnifier for detached wires then powered up, had to satisfy myself that the motor/clutches and tapes all moved as smoothly in the horizontal as they had in the vertical, everything looks good this far.........


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Had to have a bit of a listen before I closed down for the night, bass sounds a bit heavy but otherwise I think its sweet........


Craig
Top 150 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
380 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

This seemed like a good time to adjust the quiet current by measuring across the two output transistors and setting at 14.4.....tricky to get it exactly right with the pifer pots.


Page 6 of 7 (100 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS