Finally getting around to this machine, now I have enough speakers to connect to it! I already had a good look at it cosmetically when it was kindly gifted to me by Peter....looked good then and still does.
The EL switch board looks mechanically sound with no signs of any loose buckles on the underside of the switches, however I suspect the contact within will be tarnished after all this time
And the motor control panel looks in equally good shape.
Little more dust around the IF and Decoder sections but nothing looks untoward.
The indicator ribbons look a little slack to me, I don't know how taught they should be but I think they shouldn't be quite as much slack as there is at present.
Closer inspection of the front and back balance ribbon reveals some very skilful repair work has been carried out.
Looking at the motor drive coupling reveals cracks in the rubber sleeve that looks like it will need replacing, anyone know what is the best replacement for this or will I need to scratch around various hose sites to find something of the correct dimensions?
The motor is also loose at the fixings towards the bottom, you know....the ones you cant get at easily!
The worm drive looks like it needs lubrication to, silicone grease perhaps for this application? This picture doesn't show it clearly but some of the drive belts on the indicator ribbons have started to perish and show tiny cracks, I have Martins kit for this very reason though....I will take this assembly apart next.
Indicator ribbons and associated retaining clips came away without any issues
And the retaining clips themselves look in good shape, test will be when I pinch them during re assembly.
Disconnected the motor and retaining bearing from the non drive end and the drive shaft and clutch assemblies slid out quite easily.
loosened off each potentiometer and with a bit of jiggling around got Martins replacement belts onto the wheels and using the dremel spanner tightened everything back up
Two of the original belts showed signs of cracking, the other three didn't look too bad, but as I had cut them to remove them easier I thought it best to replace them all, unfortunately when I removed the nylon bearing from the non drive end of the clutch assembly drive shaft I found that one side was broken....
Not the end of the world though and a small amount of epoxy resin has been applied.
I have now replaced the clutch assembly drive shaft and carefully fitted all the belts, the non drive end bearing will have to set before I fit it back, which will have to wait until I can source a replacement bit of nylon/rubber hose to replace the coupling from the motor to the drive shaft