B&O 4002 turntable issues

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 27 Replies | 2 Followers

bbrandt
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member
bbrandt posted on Tue, Apr 4 2017 4:33 PM

My 4002 turntable sometimes makes loud squeaking noises while playing (from motor area?).

Also the arm sometimes squeaks when moving, especially at the ends of travel. Sometimes it doesn't come to a full rest when returning to the right and will only park and shut off if I give it a gentle shove.

And lastly, it makes a tremendous rumble at the end of LPs before lift off.

I lubricated the areas around the axle pivot between solenoid & damper, the ends of the solenoid, and piston of the damper. Also the long threaded shaft that the mechanism runs on.

I used Zoom Spout high quality turbine oil, which is paraffin based and non-gumming.

How taught should the drive belt be? Mine seems a bit loose.

What else should I look for?

All Replies

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,939 Posts
Bronze Member

bbrandt:

I will purchase a belt from Dillen if needed. Just want your opinions first.

Brian

Doesnt sound right, the belt on my BG 4002 is a square profile belt (still original I think). Dillen didnt have the belt for the arm drive when I restored mine so I left the original there, it is very loose but working properly.

The correct belts are essential to these decks, specially the platter belt, too loose and it will slip, too tight and it will destroy the motor bearings and pull the platter out of center position.

Did you check the spindle pulley ?

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,004 Posts
Bronze Member

The original belt was triangular in cross section. If you replace with a belt with square cross section it will appear to be twisted in use.

Not sure what Dillen is supplying now but you can bet it will be better than anybody else can supply.

The belt must not be too tight and,will probably appear to be loose for best results.

Pulleys are fixed to the shafts with grub screws but over the years the threaded hole will have cracked, preventing a tight fit. Some years ago, a member was producing replacement pulleys with a 3D printer. Health problems prevent me remembering which member it was. Suggest search the archived forum.

Regards Graham

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,715 Posts
Gold Member

Down towards the bottom of this page you can see some pictures of a replacement pulley for the Beogram 400x turntables. The pulley is slightly different for the Beogram 4000. Beoworld member Nick makes them. Machined metal and they work great. A lot, if not most, of the Beogram 400x plastic pulleys are cracked. Some get slightly warped. Even with a new pulley you will want to get a proper belt from Dillen though.

All of that being said, I'm not sure that will correct your issues judging from your last post on what you observed with the platters removed. If the Start and Stop always work fine then it sounds like the motor is driving the tangential arm assembly okay. The part about it not detecting the SO (stop) point sounds like it could be the position sensor. 

Your Beogram problem doesn't sound like a lubrication problem to me. Since you had an expert shop adjust it just a few months back a lubrication service should not be needed again. I read where they did change out capacitors and other electrical components so they essentially did a restoration on your Beogram. To me that points now to some component failing related to the position detection. You should still check the pulley and belt as suggested buy I think the noise problem you are hearing is because the Beogram is trying to drive the tangential arm assembly past where it should.

I would be inclined to take it back to your repair shop and demonstrate the problem to them. 

sonavor 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,939 Posts
Bronze Member

Read this John

bbrandt:

When this happens, the pulley and belt for the arm is still spinning BUT the gold threaded shaft which turns with the pulley stops turning. This is when the squeakiing sound happens.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,715 Posts
Gold Member

Right Søren. That sounds like the motor is still getting a command to drive but the limit of travel is exhausted. The control logic should have initiated a stop and return. That wouldn't be good long term for the parts involved either :(

bbrandt
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

OK, I could bring it back to the shop when I have the funds to do so. I can add that my 4002 has the black pulley, which seems to be preferred.

I am also willing to invest in Nick's pulley, but how do I contact him?

I guess it is beginning to sound like I cannot try to fix this problem myself.

Thank you

Brian

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,715 Posts
Gold Member

Send me a Beoworld private message and I will give you his email.

sonavor 

bbrandt
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

Sorry, how do I send a private email?

Brian

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
2,715 Posts
Gold Member

You click on my Beoworld user name and you should see an option to start a conversation. If you don't have that option you will need to enable it in your Beoworld profile. There is an option half way down on the profile screen (under the Site Options tab) to allow conversations.

sonavor

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
1,122 Posts
Bronze Member

tip 141 transistor x2

tip 146 transistor x2

Well, that's the FIRST time I've seen these Power Amplifier transistors in a BeoGram of any type.

Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile

With this kind of service, it'd be a miracle if that Service Center is still around.

Menahem

millicurie999
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Bronze Member

Here is the miracle Big Smile

https://www.yelp.com/biz/technetron-electronics-new-york

millicurie999
Not Ranked
14 Posts
Bronze Member

I just received 2 servo belts from Dillen. They are triangular in C/S.

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
1,122 Posts
Bronze Member

ONE review for a business, which records show has been around since 1980?

A self-promoting review?

In any case, HIGHLY SUSPECT , when a technician is not afraid to advertise on the invoice, that he charged for parts which don't EVEN exist in the actual machine.

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS