This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
Posts 93
Bronze Member
davidr Posted: Sun, Mar 19 2017 7:44 PM

Gents,

I've been giving some consideration to updating my set up using a non-b&o LG OLED tv. I want to use as few components as possible (no furniture to hide in) and as simple as possible. Of course simply buying an avant will be the 'real' solution however most costly.

In any case. My current set up is an AppleTV3 connected via HDMI to tv, optical out > BeoPlay S8 connection hub > b&o loudspeakers. Airplay works perfect as do the apps from the AppleTV. I use no other inputs on the television.

Now I've been considering getting a BS Moment and forgoing AirPlay for music listening however, the issue of the audio for video is such. Fist I found the LG optical out is fixed, second, even though it has the capability to do BT audio, LG restricts to only their crappy LG sound bars!

So I think either getting a AppleTV4, pair it with BS Moment via BT to the Moment (volume controllable via AppleTV). Plus the new version has HDMI CEC so with one remote I can power on and off the television.

Or getting a BS Essence, connecting AppleTV audio via AirPlay to Essence but I'm not sure how well that would work (delay).

Thoughts?Geeked

Rudi Pedersen
Top 500 Contributor
Herning, Denmark
Posts 60
Gold Member
Knowing that a B&O tv will be mostly an LG in the future why not consider to buy a LG tv today and integrate this.

Does anyone have knowledge how to setup such a configuration still using the Remote One and my Beolab 14

Thanks, Rudi
Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 1,375
Gold Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Mar 20 2017 3:14 PM

davidr:

Gents,

I've been giving some consideration to updating my set up using a non-b&o LG OLED tv. I want to use as few components as possible (no furniture to hide in) and as simple as possible. Of course simply buying an avant will be the 'real' solution however most costly.

In any case. My current set up is an AppleTV3 connected via HDMI to tv, optical out > BeoPlay S8 connection hub > b&o loudspeakers. Airplay works perfect as do the apps from the AppleTV. I use no other inputs on the television.

Now I've been considering getting a BS Moment and forgoing AirPlay for music listening however, the issue of the audio for video is such. Fist I found the LG optical out is fixed, second, even though it has the capability to do BT audio, LG restricts to only their crappy LG sound bars!

So I think either getting a AppleTV4, pair it with BS Moment via BT to the Moment (volume controllable via AppleTV). Plus the new version has HDMI CEC so with one remote I can power on and off the television.

Or getting a BS Essence, connecting AppleTV audio via AirPlay to Essence but I'm not sure how well that would work (delay).

Thoughts?Geeked

What benefits are you looking for by adding a Moment into the mix? Do you intend to connect your Beolabs to the Moment?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 150 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 584
Gold Member

Hi davidr,

Either Essence or Moment can be connected between the LG TV and the Beolab speakers.  When using the standard settings, there will be a lip-sync delay with these products, but this can be removed by using the BeoSetup app to reduce the "Network Delay" setting to a lower level (ideally 0mS if you aren't using multi-room, or 50mS max if you have wireless speakers in other rooms).

Beoremote One won't control an LG TV directly as far as I am aware, but by adding Essence or Moment you can have volume control via the B&O remote.

If you need any help with cabling for this setup, please feel free to ask! Cool

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor the BeoWorld forums!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,228
Bronze Member

Rudi Pedersen:
Knowing that a B&O tv will be mostly an LG in the future why not consider to buy a LG tv today and integrate this.

Does anyone have knowledge how to setup such a configuration still using the Remote One and my Beolab 14

Thanks, Rudi

You'd need a multichannel preamp in the mix - and you'd have to experiment with Lintronic or alike solutions for the controlling.

A rather stony way ahead of you.

N.B. Dont forget to consider a good center speaker for video-sound.

I prefer letting the guys in Struer do the job - they are quite good at it....as you know ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
Posts 93
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Mon, Mar 20 2017 5:08 PM

Hiort:

What benefits are you looking for by adding a Moment into the mix? Do you intend to connect your Beolabs to the Moment?

Exactly, I intend to connect my BL (via PL) to Moment or Essence, also removing the S8 connection hub.

What I wish is that the Moment can access and play my entire library plus streaming. So I don't have to maintain another limited music collection on my mobile. Plus the search ability, better DAC and all that.

AppleTV4 HDMI & CEC >> LG

^

BT audio

^

Moment >> PL Beolabs

Now there's nothing 'wrong' with my current set up, however it is sort of locked in this configuration as newer AppleTV doesn't have optical out so then I must switch on the television to do AirPlay. Something I don't have to do today. I've also been down the DAC/Preamp way of things which I didn't enjoy; more remotes, manually switching inputs, yet another box.

Or something like that... Confused 

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
Posts 93
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Mon, Mar 20 2017 6:48 PM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Either Essence or Moment can be connected between the LG TV and the Beolab speakers. 

Exactly, how would I do other than BT audio from AppleTV? There's no analogue out, no BT audio and the optical out is fixed volume from the tele. In the past I did use a DAC/Preamp but would want to avoid that.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Beoremote One won't control an LG TV directly as far as I am aware, but by adding Essence or Moment you can have volume control via the B&O remote.

If you need any help with cabling for this setup, please feel free to ask! Cool

Kind regards, Steve.

Right I don't currently have a Beoremote One. Probably there's a hack-ish way via Lintronic I've read but that's a bit much just for a (lovely) remote. AppleTV4 supports HDMI CEC so in theory my thinking is the Apple Siri remote can control the LG tv. My thoughts anyway but I've been researching options hence my question to the knowledgeable group here.

Yes for sure once I settle on a solution, will enquire for cabling solutions..

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 150 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 584
Gold Member

Hi davidr,

The Apple TV would normally connect into the LG TV with an HDMI cable, then you can Airplay to the Apple TV and hear the music through the Beolabs via the TV.

Alternatively, the Essence has Airplay which should make wireless music streaming easier (as the TV won't need to be on!)

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor the BeoWorld forums!

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
Posts 93
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 5:40 PM

Sounds like a workable shoultion. I recently found out (I'm a little behind) that I can ''HomeShare'' my music library to any ios devices so in essence (no pun) I don't have to have a copy of my music catalogue on the device itself.

Quite sure the Essence will work fine for me, AirPlay today is perfect just the television optical out needs a small DAC.

Last questions I swear.

• Does the essence line-in auto-switch, I think it does?
  • Does the essence line-in have volume control?
  • Does the essence AirPlay support the same formats like an apple device notably ALAC (labelled "Apple Lossless audio file" in itunes)? Half my library is lossless CD rips.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,228
Bronze Member

davidr:

• Does the essence line-in auto-switch, I think it does?
  • Does the essence line-in have volume control?
  • Does the essence AirPlay support the same formats like an apple device notably ALAC (labelled "Apple Lossless audio file" in itunes)? Half my library is lossless CD rips.

1: Yes.

2: That will have the same control as other sources on the Essence.

But you will have to run the input at (almost) full volume, and do all volume control via the Essence. Note: many devices have a setting for 'fixed line-out' - use that.

Thumb rule: it is always better to control volume in the last device in an audio chain.

3: AirPlay is rather restricted, so that should be fine - the AirPlay stream is lossless by 16/44.1 anyway.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
Posts 93
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Fri, Mar 24 2017 3:22 PM

MM, thanks it is clear.

point 1, perfect, I read that wanted to be sure as in usual b&o fashion are vague.

point 2, actually is not an issue at all. as nearly every television optical out is fixed full volume. hence the need to control it somewhere which in this case is perfect. i agree it is best to dim the volume once, preferably in analogue domain near the "end".

point 3 AirPlay is just fine for me. 44/16 is more than enough especially since the masters of the music I tend to listen to is 90s early 2000s so mostly DAT transfers or dither / mastered to 44/16 to begin with. As an amateur music producer I am aware of how digital audio works. Apparently A/V gear doesn't have the same level of detailed documentation that professional studio equipment typically have.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS