rated by 0 users
This post has 132 Replies | 4 Followers

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 373
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

....look at how the tweeters are pointed downwards.

MM

And toward the listening position?
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,357
Bronze Member

Mr 10Percent:

Cut and paste from Avalon Acoustics Tesseract $300k concept

Not quite, but very similar.

If these are really that big as on the last picture - no wonder the tweeter has to point downwards.

Seems to be a gigantic traditional speaker, dressed up for fun - one sweetspot, a one man speaker.

However, I would eat my hat if the new speakers are anywhere near these - design, sound and function wise.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 2,432
Bronze Member

Mr 10Percent:

Millemissen:

You sure mean,  the BL5.

That pic is just a fantasy made in Paint - as usual from Peter Pan.

PS. I would not wish for a speaker like that in my listening room - look at how the tweeters are pointed downwards.

MM

Cut and paste from Avalon Acoustics Tesseract $300k concept

Those speakers dont look dissimilar to Harmon Kardons GLA-55 speakers "Glass" cubes they had out for computer speakers a few years back. 

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,499
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Mar 18 2017 10:22 PM

Very practical - I seem to remember that one of the concepts behind B&O speakers was that they should fit into a normal room. An ideal speaker would take up no space at all - just use an electromagnetic pulse - a holographic speaker if you will. That is why the Beolab 5000 was good - it just didn't sound as good as the others in the range at the time (not that I wish to open up old arguments!) Big Smile

Peter

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,510
Gold Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Mar 18 2017 11:15 PM

Peter:

Very practical - I seem to remember that one of the concepts behind B&O speakers was that they should fit into a normal room. An ideal speaker would take up no space at all - just use an electromagnetic pulse - a holographic speaker if you will. That is why the Beolab 5000 was good - it just didn't sound as good as the others in the range at the time (not that I wish to open up old arguments!) Big Smile

Ah, but Peter, you know the Audiophile Rule, the bigger and uglier your speakers are the more it proves you are "serious" about sound! Totally the opposite of the traditional B&O approach. To be honest, as incredible as the performance of the BL90 is, it is not a B&O looking speaker, but more in line with the audiophile trade, unlike the BL5. I don't actually like the looks of the BL90 as much, though I understand why it's that way based on the engineering and the acoustic principles it embodies. I like the BL5 much better though personally. Not that I can afford either...

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 373
Bronze Member
The BL90 may not 'look' like previous Jensen/Davis designs.

If you look at the BL19, various new Beoplay models, you are seeing B&Os new design language.

Such fun!!
Mr 10Percent
Top 200 Contributor
Way Out West
Posts 258
Bronze Member

Jeff:

To be honest, as incredible as the performance of the BL90 is, it is not a B&O looking speaker, but more in line with the audiophile trade, unlike the BL5.

But here the thing having lived with both.....both seemed to be enormous things - even by my own admission when each were originally installed (especially into the current room size of 5m x 4m) but over time, they seem to become less domineering and actually "discreet" in a funny sort of way.

I think a lot of this "large" but not "in-your-face" design is a tribute to B&O's design capability (or accepting design from external sources). I also think not having acres of polished wood or lacquer makes a big difference as well. The coarse-weave fabric surrounding the BL90s hides a lot of bulk and stops them looking like large bits of useless furniture. 

I think the BL90s would be even better if they lost the 3 aluminum crowns and had snap-on frets a la Beolab 4 there the frets almost touch each other. They would seem even smaller.

Bottom line - they are actually quite easy to live with despite the bulk.

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,510
Gold Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Mar 19 2017 2:28 PM

Well, that's the way of most things, you get used to the size and don't notice it as much. Every time I've bought a new TV that was larger, at first I went "holy cripes, that's huge" and then got to where it seemed too small, I wish I had an even bigger set. I do like the BL9s small size though.

Back in my old house, before B&O, I had a custom cabinet built along one wall that stuck out into the room where there was a half wall before. My wife and I stood there and looked at it and labeled it "the cliffs of insanity" because it looked huge. Damned thing looked like a docked aircraft carrier. Not long before we got to where it looked normal.

And I understand B&O has changed their design language so to speak, but I still have to say that I don't like any of the new speakers looks as well as I did the previous generation speakers. The BL19 is IMO the best of he new lot, but I still just don't find any of the new stuff that attractive.

Jeff

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 357
Bronze Member
Any fool can make a speaker the size of a turbojet from a aircraft wrapped in wood or carbon fibre. Making a speaker that sounds stunning and also blends in to your living situation as much as possible takes a work design genius.
Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,510
Gold Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Mar 19 2017 11:41 PM

seethroughyou:
Any fool can make a speaker the size of a turbojet from a aircraft wrapped in wood or carbon fibre. Making a speaker that sounds stunning and also blends in to your living situation as much as possible takes a work design genius.

I agree completely, and it's something B&O has excelled at of the years. For my personal taste, in order of preference, the designs of David Lewis, the designs of Jacob Jensen, and lastly the current designs. Mind you, the current stuff looks far better than yet another pair of boring black or wood boxes by a great deal, but not up to the other designers.

Jeff

jowus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 87
Bronze Member
jowus replied on Mon, Mar 20 2017 1:42 AM
Jeff, I think, they've done it all. Even no matter how you think B&O looks today or yesterday, they've always excelled. Can you tell me any of the speaker makers out there, who've produced any anything with Beauty. There're great speakers out there, don't get me wrong, but, they all looks the the same. Big Blk Box or Big Bwn Box. But at least, with B&O, you know you getting something different! Long live Bang & Olufsen! Look at Pentas at it's time or even BeoLab 5. When you goes to Audio shops and come home to see your B&O stuffs, that should make you Proud of what you got!
Mogelmose
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Mogelmose replied on Mon, Mar 20 2017 1:52 PM

About the "lack" of a BS9000 sucessor i think we should give B&O a nod for betting at the future (which is now) 2-3 years ago. "We" as consumers don't need a system anymore. We need a remote, and internet access.

Your phone as remote, and limited speaker access: The Beoplay Range
Streamlined remote, and your phone: The Essence
You want a screen? You get the moment.

No point in spending a heap of Danish Kroner to make something that a lot of consumers already have in their home. A tablet.
I remember when the Moment came out. Instead of acknowledging it as a "Beosound" people right away ditched it for the lack of "use as a tablet". For me that showed the marketing saying that "The consumers don't know what they want, but they know what the didn't get".
You could argue they should make a new Beogram since the market is as it is right now but the Beocord, Beogram CD and Beogram is of no use for the majority of the B&O customers.

So B&O should make a wooden tablet cover? No not really. They are in the sound business and the truth is that everything they or we could imagine that a new Beosound could do, A tablet or a phone can do that too. The moment covers the consumers that don't want the tabet/phone near but even those consumers are pointing to the lack of this and lack of that "My iPad can do it, why can't you?"

Don't misundstand me. I was there too. I stille have my Beosystem 7000 for my Vinyl needs and B&O fixed that with the NM/ML converter.

But what would you want from a Beosound 9000?? CD-capability? Who listens to CD's, who couldn't go to a HQ Streaming service instead, minimizing the need for storage and making the living room more neat looking - which is kind of B&O's trademark if you have read the rest of this thread.

The same thing goes for the TV's. It makes sense to me that they go with Android / now the LG for the backbone and then adds their business: Sound and Link capability into that. There is simply not enough Beovision customers to hold up a complete software staff to meet the demands that the average consumer wants: They just want it to work.

To end this post with a conclusion on the beginning sentence: To be fair: Streaming just works. Its a simple protocol (which also makes the costs minimal for B&O and we can all agree that they indeed need that right now) 

Living with my wife to be for a few years learned me that there is only one thing cooler than cool tech. That is invisible cool tech! 

Mr 10Percent
Top 200 Contributor
Way Out West
Posts 258
Bronze Member

Mogelmose:

About the "lack" of a BS9000 sucessor i think we should give B&O a nod for betting at the future (which is now) 2-3 years ago. "We" as consumers don't need a system anymore. We need a remote, and internet access.

Your phone as remote, and limited speaker access: The Beoplay Range
Streamlined remote, and your phone: The Essence
You want a screen? You get the moment.

No point in spending a heap of Danish Kroner to make something that a lot of consumers already have in their home. A tablet.

I have to disagree – of sorts. But also agree – of sorts.

I’ve moved over from thinking the BS5 was the best thing since sliced bread both functionally and tactility. However, personal operating behaviours change over time.

I drive most of my Lounge music via a NAS and Avant. The BS5 gets very little use these days and I’ve decoupled the internal BS5 HDD for a remote NAS. This gives the Avant and the BS5 the same database and speeds up the BS5 when I do use it.  Add in a couple of Essences for the office and one bedroom and an A6 for weekend guests and everything gets driven by the NAS.

The BeoRemote 1 and TV screen is my most popular method of choosing music now – but that is akin to using a PC with a remote. I have an iPad Mini for BeoMusic and it drives me nuts. Awkward to carry around and to hold – but better than the full cream iPad large version – and I definitely, definitely do not want to use a mobile phone as part of my primary enjoyment experience. An iPad/tablet is bad enough and actually ruins the tactile side of things.

The Moment is flawed but improving. It is flawed in terms of high-quality options for the BL90 (the BL90 I believe will be able to take Deezer, Spotify and Tunein directly – but that is also flawed philosophy i.e. it’s a glorified A6/A9) with no high bit-rate output (digital) to link the BL90 and relatively low-res on the bought-in streamed services.

What I think B&O need is the next level up from the Moment:-

1.       Ability to pull in Hi-Def Tidal Account

2.       Ability to handle files speedily from a NAS and at the extended quality depth seen in Flacs

3.       The best direct digital connection to the BL90.

4.       Have a slick interface with multi-configurable parameters that the User can choose.

5.       That (de-dockable) interface acts as combined TV/Video/Audio combined controller based on the NL architecture and STB controller system (i.e. pulls from NL-enabled TV’s as weel)

6.       Add in MOTS and Moment equivalents for automated, intuitive music selection if required for the User.

7.       Ultimately, configured to get the best from the BL90’s and their other connected halo products.

Such a product would be significantly different and differentiated to the Moment and Essence-class products in terms of hardware and another step-up in software complexity (assuming B&O could ever make it work properly). I would state it would be everything we have been asking for the last few years but never got and would no-doubt come at a very high price.

The BeoSound 90. If it is this…..I will buy on day one of release.

Mogelmose
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Mogelmose replied on Mon, Mar 20 2017 9:17 PM

If we all would agree on everything this discussion board would be boring ;)

From what i read, everything you need could fit inside and app for a tablet, since you dont want to use your phone? Besides hifi output which Essence eg. gives us.

And then you would want to wallmount it as your BS5?

Then B&O is actually doing the right thing. Working om the X app with lots of updates.

I think there is more to streaming service agreements than what we see as consumers. I know that is why Sonos has the bridge to utilize Spotify in multiroom as they dont support that.

Og course it is a priority for B&O to have the best possible sound, within that they must have settled with Deezer. Even though not 100% comparable Bose is also going with Deezer.

The big thing about apps vs. "Beomasters" is that it is easily and cheap to feature upgrade. In 2017 nobody wants go to the dealer for a puc upgrade or dab+ boxes. Via streaming and open protocols as DLNA, Bluetooth etc B&O can adapt quicker to compete. Afterall im still convinced that we as "super users" only make up for a small amount og sold units. What do the rest want? My friends all love their Sonos system and the hassle free streaming service. I laugh when i tell them that B&O has been doing the multiroom thing since 1984 ;)

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 373
Bronze Member
Mr 10Percent:

The BeoSound 90. If it is this…..I will buy on day one of release.

Hmmm. Sorry B&O. I used to be willing to buy on the first day of release, but that ship has permanently sailed.

Be more Careful in the future, please.

B
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,357
Bronze Member

9 LEE:

As I'm representing BeoWorld I promise I'll be on my best behaviour.  I will also try and ask the odd question on my travels, so if you have any please let me know!

Hi Lee,

how are things going?

So - first of all we want to now ALL, that you are allowed to tell.

We wan't to know, when you are able to tell more, when these products are officially launched and released for the market.

We are eager to learn, it these (product)s can be seen as successors of the BL5/BL3 - or is 'Future Sounds' something else?

More specificially and technically - will (if speakers) they have acoustic lenses (I suppose not).

What kind of input port will they have (still if we are talking speakers) - will they have a DPL-in (=Digital PowerLink)?

Will the bigger one (or even both) have a webclient built-in - like the BL90?

Should 'Future Sounds' include a new player/BeoSound (I don't suppose so, but some Beoworlders hope for it), what is different from the current ones?

I hope you are enjoying your stay in Struer - nice weather there, I suppose!

MM

linder
Top 75 Contributor
United States
Posts 970
Founder
linder replied on Wed, Mar 22 2017 2:58 PM

9 LEE:

Just to let you know you'll be having one of my long, boring and uninteresting reviews to skim over soon! Don't worry, you can delete it. Stick out tongue

BeoWorld has been invited to an event in just over weeks time to preview 'two new products which are destined to shape the future of sound'

All sounds very exciting - but as I'll have to sign NDA's and risk being marched into the field with the sheep in and beaten to death with a BeoLink 1000 I won't be able to launch my reviews until I'm allowed.... Not sure when that is, either.

As I'm representing BeoWorld I promise I'll be on my best behaviour.  I will also try and ask the odd question on my travels, so if you have any please let me know!

Having media types sign an NDA means that none of this will be really a secret.  We will see hints of the new products very quickly especially on blogs.  

Lee, I appreciate that you will be writing a review.  I am sure the new products will be interesting.  I really don't have a question.  However I am concerned B&O has changed so much that I question the future direction of the company.  Because most of the discussions on Beoworld have been a tale of woe especially software problems, I do not think I am going to be an early adopter of any new product.  In the past I would be in the B&O store to buy the latest product on the first day of introduction.  I still have an interest in Bang and Olufsen products.  Later this year, I plan on purchasing a new Beovision and possibly speakers.  Your observations of the presentation itself might be very helpful.  Are they excited about the future?  Does the presentation have energy and does everything work?  Although they probably know this already, you might want to mention that some longtime members of Beoworld are becoming less than enthused.

Regards

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,246
Gold Member
Simonbeo replied on Wed, Mar 22 2017 4:04 PM

I follow a forum for the brand of car I drive and it's just the same with their latest model: one thread is all about the latest meaning for a "check engine" warning light! People are using diagnostic check readers on the new  car they've just bought. Sound familiar? 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Corbridge, UK
Posts 2,982
Gold Member
I used to be part of a Saab 9000 forum. Some clever and rather "focused" individual realised that if you put chewing gum rappers where the diagnostic tool goes, part of the dash flashed.

Over the next month he managed to work out what every one of nineteen flashes meant!

Interesting Confused

Beovision 7-55 Mk2, Avant RF 28, Beolab 5,  Beolit 15,  Beoplay A1/A2, Beocom 2, Beotime, H3 ANC/H8/H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 6,461
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Mar 22 2017 9:47 PM

Hello everyone!

Okay, I'm typing this from my hotel room at the Norre Vosborg, and I'm still not too sure exactly what I can and cannot tell you about the two new products I've seen and spent the last 2 days with.  I am going to be discussing specifics with Jette from B&O over breakfast tomorrow before I head off to the airport to see what I can tell you.  

Here in Denmark I've been the lucky recipient of the usual amazing B&O hospitality, met some great people (and Geoff Martin) 😄 and have had a wonderful time, as usual. I'll be sad to leave in the morning.

What can I safely say for now?  Well, one item is a concept - which is also a product. Totally caught me by surprise, and when you see it (and it needs to be seen and experienced) you'll have that lightbulb "yes, of course, why didn't I think of that?!" moment.  (PS : there's no cryptic reference to the Moment there.. Really).  This product will be launched in three weeks time, so not long to wait.

The second product isn't being launched until August !!!  So, I'm going to have to keep my mouth shut and sit on my typing fingers for months 😩  It will divide opinion as I have a feeling it's not what you'll 'expect' - but after spending a couple of days around the product, and having a demonstration, it's DEFINITELY good enough to wear the Bang & Olufsen name....  

That's about all for now.  The mood in Struer is optimistic, everyone is positive but is also very aware that many challenges lay ahead. I'm not talking financial either (although this is real) - I'm talking 'gadget and hi-if' technology, design fashion, and software... all of which are a nightmare to keep pace with if you're paying as much attention to detail as B&O want to.

Speak soon!

Lee 

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,246
Gold Member
Simonbeo replied on Wed, Mar 22 2017 9:58 PM

Sounds intriguing Lee. Being the people who invented what Sonos do is not enough.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,357
Bronze Member

Thanks Lee - sounds pretty exiting.

You write 'spend the last 2 days...'.

I thought the event would take place on the 22. and the 23. of March (according to the invitaions).

Are/were there different events going on.

How many people did participate - were they A/V journalists...?

MM

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 1,411
Gold Member
Duels replied on Wed, Mar 22 2017 10:13 PM
Well that's a real tease Lee! Wink
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,357
Bronze Member

Since Geoff Martin (as Lee wrote) was engaged in the presentation, we may suppose,

that the 'August product' is a speaker ;-)

MM

mjmedlo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 878
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 2:29 AM
Isn't Norre Vosberg the coolest?

I love the main manor house and the path along the creek under bridge.

Such a beautiful place!!
Alessandro
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member

What is this? A B&O gadget?

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Corbridge, UK
Posts 2,982
Gold Member
P2 is another Bluetooth speaker. Like a small squashed A2. Nice colour. £150!

Beovision 7-55 Mk2, Avant RF 28, Beolab 5,  Beolit 15,  Beoplay A1/A2, Beocom 2, Beotime, H3 ANC/H8/H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

Alessandro
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member

I was actually referring to the picture of that plastic model of Beosound 9000. Is it a B&O gadget?

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,246
Gold Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 5:35 PM

It's possibly a 3D printed model for a speaker?

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,246
Gold Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 5:37 PM

Confused. The model you mean could be for interior designers. I recall seeing scale. Models of chairs etc for this purpose, now superseded by computer data.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 6,461
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 6:35 PM

Simonbeo:

It's possibly a 3D printed model for a speaker?

No, but they do 3D print all the development prototypes in Struer these days!

Millemissen, you should work for a detective agency. You're good... Cool

I missed Jette at breakfast, but she's going to email me what I can and can't say.  All this not being able to say anything about the first launch in a few weeks is driving me up the wall, so to speak !! Erm..

Lee

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 1,411
Gold Member
Duels replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 7:42 PM
Millemissen:

Since Geoff Martin (as Lee wrote) was engaged in the presentation, we may suppose,

MM

I'm going sound bar.
TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,086
Gold Member
TWG replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 7:54 PM

Seems like Beochristmas:

Beo-Daddy Lee is waiting in the closed living room, we (his Beo-Kids) have to wait outside until he rings the bell and we all run to enter the livingroom with the Beo-Tree to see what Bang-Santa and Claus-Olufsen brought this year. Smile

kuyttendaele
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 310
Founder

Since it's been mentioned.. BeoPlay P2 .. and if Google is your friend.. in Black, Stone Grey and Natural..

Concerning the revelation for August... given some extra software problems.. Somewhere September I guess.. And since Geoff is involved: successor of the BL5? The BL17 is in the league of BL3... so I guess a BL5 replacement..

But I'm speculating... *throws money towards Struer*

Karel.

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
Posts 554
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 8:43 PM

kuyttendaele:

BeoPlay P2 .. and if Google is your friend.. in Black, Stone Grey and Natural..

Although I found since a long time the sketches of it (I put the link in another thread), I didn't find any photo... Maybe Google wants to punish me :-(

jowus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 87
Bronze Member
jowus replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 9:01 PM
My guess will be BeoSound Moment in 3D, 4K or HD! Definitely, the 2nd Gen. of the Moment that works Flawless. Stay tune Guys!
Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,246
Gold Member
Simonbeo replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 10:14 PM

" .....can't say.  All this not being able to say anything about the first launch in a few weeks is driving me up the wall, so to speak !! Erm..

Up the wall. So to Speak (er )

No clues there then Lee!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,108
Founder
Puncher replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 11:19 PM

Gas light shades......

Ban boring signatures!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,357
Bronze Member

Duels:
Millemissen:

MM

I'm going sound bar.

I am not!

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 9,357
Bronze Member

Not a speaker, maybe!

Refered to as a 'concept' ----- maybe something that becomes a product, when other things come together, then.

Something with multiroom ;-)

MM

Page 2 of 4 (133 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS