Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to tell us about your new email address

How to connect Beolab 7.2 center speaker with my Vizio TV

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 2 Followers

amare
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
amare posted on Wed, Mar 8 2017 3:27 AM

I got an old BO TV from a friend (BeoVision 7-40 MMK4). It works fine. However, I have a better bigger Vizio smart TV that I would like to connect to the BeoLab 7.2 Center Speaker. I bought a powerlink adapter (7-din male on one end and RCA male on the other end) on ebay and tried to connect the speaker with the TV. There is no sound coming from the speakers. What else do I need? Do I need receivers? Please advise me.

All Replies

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 150 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
567 Posts
Gold Member

Hi amare,

Welcome to Beoworld!

Yes, I can help!  The only way to connect the Beolab 7-2 speaker directly to your non-B&O TV is to use the headphone socket on the TV, as this is the only socket where the volume of the sound can be controlled.  Your Beolab 7-2 speaker needs a special powered cable to generate the trigger signals that would normally be sent from a B&O television (please note that the speaker also requires its mains power cord):-

http://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/102--trigger-trs-.html

The standard RCA to DIN cable that you bought on eBay won't work for this speaker (hopefully the seller should have been aware of this?) - I would suggest returning the cable to them as it is unsuitable for your speaker.

You can add a receiver if you have more speakers and you want full surround sound, but using the TV headphone socket to connect the speaker directly is the simplest option.

If the TV doesn't have a headphone socket, then please get back in touch and I can confirm some other options to consider.

Any questions, please feel free to ask!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor the BeoWorld forums!

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
88 Posts
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Fri, Mar 10 2017 3:25 PM

A slightly more elegant solution if your Vizio has optical out (read: costly) is to get a Beoplay S8 connection hub, get the correct Powerlink RJ45-DIN cables and connect them together. This way triggering and volume control is all done via the television remote and be most likely a better connection than the headphones port.

Vizio toslink optical > Beoplay S8 hub optical, PL out > BL 7.2 PL in

I always recommend the Beoplay S8 hub highly for connecting b&o speakers to non-b&o systems especially televisions. It's really the perfect box for the job.

amare
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
amare replied on Fri, Mar 10 2017 5:44 PM

Thanks Steve,

I will try the powered cable solution you mentioned.My Vizio TV doesn't have a headphone socket, but I have another TV with a headphone socket. Just in case, please let me know your solution for a TV with no such socket.

I am not sure about a receiver, though. Is it worth to spend more just for (additional??) surround sound?

Yes, I will return the cable I got from ebay (I am mad now that the seller advertised it as though it works fine to connect BO speaker to non BO TV)

Thanks again

Amare

amare
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
amare replied on Fri, Mar 10 2017 5:50 PM

Hi Davidr

Yes, my TV has optical out. The connection hub you mentioned look a bit costly. It is good to know that I have now more options, though.

Thanks fro the advice

Amare

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 150 Contributor
567 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Amare,

The TV headphone socket is the simplest (and cheapest) option for stereo sound, as you just need the powered cable.  If the TV only has an optical socket, then the Beoplay S8 Hub that Davidr mentioned (£149 GBP from UK B&O stores) is the cheapest alternative, as this converts the optical signal to an electrical audio output and gives you control of the speaker volume via the TV remote.

Adding a receiver is an option, but this is likely to be the most expensive solution (I would estimate around £500 GBP upwards based on UK prices).  You would need to find a receiver with an optical audio input and (ideally but not essential) it should have pre-out sockets for all audio channels if possible.  The receiver has the advantage of allowing you to add more speakers for surround sound in the future if you wish.

If you need further advice, please let us know your preferred option.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

amare
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
amare replied on Wed, Mar 15 2017 3:21 AM

Hi Steve,

I just ordered the powered cable from your company. I expect to get it here in the US in 7 days. I will report back by then.

Thanks for the advice

Amare.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Hi Amare,

The TV headphone socket is the simplest (and cheapest) option for stereo sound, as you just need the powered cable.  If the TV only has an optical socket, then the Beoplay S8 Hub that Davidr mentioned (£149 GBP from UK B&O stores) is the cheapest alternative, as this converts the optical signal to an electrical audio output and gives you control of the speaker volume via the TV remote.

Adding a receiver is an option, but this is likely to be the most expensive solution (I would estimate around £500 GBP upwards based on UK prices).  You would need to find a receiver with an optical audio input and (ideally but not essential) it should have pre-out sockets for all audio channels if possible.  The receiver has the advantage of allowing you to add more speakers for surround sound in the future if you wish.

If you need further advice, please let us know your preferred option.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 150 Contributor
567 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Amare,

Thanks for your purchase, this is in the post to you today by Airmail.   I have had reports of mail reaching USA from UK in as little as 3 days, but 7 to 14 days is more typical.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

amare
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Bronze Member
amare replied on Fri, Mar 24 2017 5:00 AM

Hi Steve

I got the cable today. My Beolab center speaker finally came to life: it works when I connect it with one of my TVs that has a headphone socket.

Steve, can you please also advise me if there is a simple/cheapest way to connect the speaker with a TV that doesn't have a headphone socket (only have RCA, HDMI, USB and Optical and Ethernet sockets)?

Thank you very much for your guidance

Amare.

Hi Amare,

Thanks for your purchase, this is in the post to you today by Airmail.   I have had reports of mail reaching USA from UK in as little as 3 days, but 7 to 14 days is more typical.

Kind regards, Steve.

Hi Amare,

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 150 Contributor
567 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Amare,

Thanks for letting me know that this arrived safely.  For TVs that don't have a headphone socket, the simplest option is to buy a Beoplay S8 Connection Hub (£149 GBP from B&O stores) as this allows the optical or RCA output to be used to connect to Beolab speakers.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS