rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 0 Followers

ptr
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Silver Member
ptr posted on Thu, Feb 16 2017 10:39 PM

Good evening!

I am new to Beoworld and this is my first post.

I have never owned a B&O unit before and a couple of weeks ago I came across a Beomaster 1200 along with a Beogram 1800. The units had been stored for a decade or so and were in excellent exterior condition and had also their original user manuals, so I decided to go for it.

The receiver worked and sounded real nice but unfortunately the motor in the record player was burned. So then I started googling and soon I ended up here. I was excited to find all the restoration project threads and tip how to find spares, even for more than 50 years old pieces.

Thanks to Martin/Beoparts I managed to get a replacement for the burned motor and got the player to spin. By now I had got quite fond of the equipment and though it sounded well there were some issues; The amplifier and power lamp would sometimes need a couple of attempts on the buttons to get up and running. Also the tuner indicator lamps didn't work. So I decided to go all in and ordered a service kit with new capacitors and trimmers, downloaded the service manual and spent last weekend with the soldering iron.

Now the Beomaster starts up nice every time. It doesn't get so warm underneath as before and sounds even better. I now use it every day both listenig to vinyl records and streaming with a Chromecast audio.

My new favorite lounge:

All Replies

Steffen
Top 50 Contributor
Denmark
1,271 Posts
Gold Member
Steffen replied on Thu, Feb 16 2017 11:55 PM

Welcome to Beoworld.

Congrats with your nice vintage system. But beware... You might get addicted, and want to buy more B&O. Big Smile

Peter
Top 200 Contributor
Saint Paul, Minnesota
252 Posts
Gold Member
Peter replied on Fri, Feb 17 2017 2:39 AM
A beautiful system you have there. The work and searching makes it so much more enjoyable, in my opinion. Welcome and thanks for sharing and the picture.

Peter-

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,882 Posts
Bronze Member

Welcome to Beoworld, beware of the BeoVirus, I have been looking for a BM 1200 for 4 years over here, but no such luck, congrats to a great job and a good looking sytem

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

ptr
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Silver Member
ptr replied on Fri, Feb 17 2017 2:43 PM

Thank You all for the welcome!

Addiction and infectious virus you say. Then I may already be infected.

Would  putting watch lists for B&O products on Ebay and similar trading sites be considered symptomatic? Smile

If it is of interest, I'll post some more pictures from the restoration exercises.

Regards Peter

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,882 Posts
Bronze Member

Searching for B&O equipment is a first symptom, when you start buying thing you absolutely dont need you are fully infected

And we love pics Big Smile

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
526 Posts
Silver Member
Ben_S replied on Sat, Feb 18 2017 7:48 AM

If you wouldn't mind putting the Beogram 1800 manual on the site or sending me a PDF version, I'd really appreciate it!

i have been looking for an English copy for ages!

many thanks

Ben

ptr
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Silver Member
ptr replied on Sat, Feb 18 2017 1:43 PM

Hi Ben

Sorry to disappoint you, but mine is in swedish.

I can still make a pdf if you like.

/Peter

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
526 Posts
Silver Member
Ben_S replied on Sat, Feb 18 2017 2:33 PM

Hi Peter

No worries, I have a danish copy already which isn't much good for me either!!

Thanks anyway, lovely items by the way!

Ben

Vandenberg
Not Ranked
Kopparberg
32 Posts
Silver Member

Hello Peter,

But I would be interested in a swedish manual!

If it is not to much trounble ....

Regards,

Hans.

ptr
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Silver Member
ptr replied on Sun, Feb 26 2017 7:49 PM

Hello Hans

Sure, no problem. I'll fix that.

Regards Peter

muck22
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi

I see you are listening to "Donald Fragen - Night Fly" :-)

Great music! 

לחיים

ptr
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Silver Member
ptr replied on Wed, Mar 8 2017 9:30 PM

Yes, great music indeed if you ask me Smile

I  listen a lot to the music of Fagen/Steely Dan in periods.

The  BM1200 and BG1800 manuals (in Swedish) are now scanned and available on the User & Service manuals section of Beoworld.

Here are also some pics from the overhaul, starting with the record deck.

The old motor was broken and both coils measured infinite impedance.

Close up on the bracket for the driving wheel and the wire for the speed fine-adjustment knob. These parts along with the motor mounting bracket was kept from the original motor. The replacement motor that I got come from a BG1000 and the speed adjustment mechanism is slightly different from mine.

The replacement motor is now reassembled and back in the deck.

Back in action. Everything now works fine. After a couple of days of playing and testing to make sure that everything was working, I also ordered a new belt.

I think the old belt had been stretched out too much and didn't manage to get enough pressure on the driving wheel to the motor shaft.

After changing to the new belt with the correct tension,  it now starts up and get the correct speed almost directly from start. And it also keep the speed throughout the listening session.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS