rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
229 Posts
Gold Member
Flere posted on Wed, Jan 11 2017 9:15 PM
Is it possible to use the Beolab 5 with a digital source and a Powerlink alternating?

So connect the BL5 to SPIF and Powerlink, and use either of them?

I understand that for the digital use you need to switch the speakers on/ off and adjust volume using a remote.

- Flere

smile and enjoy the moment

All Replies

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
2,644 Posts
Founder
stefan replied on Wed, Jan 11 2017 9:38 PM

Yes, it`s possible. I used my BL5s with BS7000 connected via Powerlink and BG CD7000 via spdif.

RADIO, TAPE, BEOGRAM will work via Powerlink, CD via spdif. Volume level control works via Powerlink, even in CD mode.

switching between analog and spdif works automatically. I used my BL5s with BS9000 in the same way and now with BS5.

Hope this helps.

Stefan

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
9,370 Posts
Bronze Member

Flere probably means: using them with a B&O source via PL and using them with a non-B&O source via Spdif.

I'd say, theoretically yes - but you would have the swich the option of the speakers each time you'd change the input....not very convenient.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Mr 10Percent
Top 200 Contributor
Way Out West
258 Posts
Bronze Member

The BL5s need Powerlink with any spdif connection.

The digital signal is carried via the spdif and preferentially handled by the BL5 with minimal DAC conversion.

The PL line is used solely as a trigger signal and volume control. 

So yes, a source to BL5 with powerlink will trigger the activation of sound from another source (already on) piping through the digital signal. Only problem is this won't be a coordinated signal. 

carlito
Top 500 Contributor
186 Posts
Silver Member
After using Beolab 5 for many years my advice below If the Beolab 5 are connected via Powerlink and SPDIF, the SPDIF input is only open when the connected Beosound / Beocenter / Beomaster sends the command “CD” (this is what a Beolab Penta / 3000 / 5000 would show in the display). Therefore the Beolab 5 needs the fully wired Powerlink cable. Solution 1: Using an old Beomaster 6500 / 7000 / 4500 with Powerlink connections. By pressing CD you can feed the SPDIF with any source you want (e.g. Network Player, Streamer) Solution 2: Using the Beolab in Option 1 (pressing Radio on Beo4 to switch on and control the volume) and feed them via analog line-in or SPDIF. This is the best solution if the Beolab 5 is not connected to a B&O TV. Carlo
davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
94 Posts
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Thu, Jan 12 2017 2:37 PM

Mr 10Percent:
The PL line is used solely as a trigger signal and volume control.

Simple question about that,

As I understand that 'volume control' is PL data hence the use of fully wired PL cables. But do all b&o PL sockets on even modern RJ45 systems output this data?

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
229 Posts
Gold Member
Flere replied on Thu, Jan 12 2017 9:02 PM
Millemissen:

Flere probably means: using them with a B&O source via PL and using them with a non-B&O source via Spdif.

I'd say, theoretically yes - but you would have the swich the option of the speakers each time you'd change the input....not very convenient.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

MM

Indeed, that is what I mean.

Option switching is not a good solution, so I guess the answer is no.

Thanks.

- Flere

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
229 Posts
Gold Member
Flere replied on Thu, Jan 12 2017 9:04 PM
davidr:

Simple question about that,

As I understand that 'volume control' is PL data hence the use of fully wired PL cables. But do all b&o PL sockets on even modern RJ45 systems output this data?

And can the Essence2 be used as the Powerlink master which send the CD command to the BL5 to process the digital data from another source. Probably not.

- Flere

Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
229 Posts
Gold Member
Flere replied on Thu, Jan 12 2017 9:05 PM
Thank you very much for all the reactions.

- Flere

Strauss Sun
Not Ranked
USA
15 Posts
Bronze Member
@carlito I use beo4 press Radio and control the volume of BL5s connected to non-B&O streamer. Is there a way to set up the start-up volume level on BL5s ? Because the current start-up level is too low and every time I have to increase the volume. Thank you !
Flere
Top 200 Contributor
Netherlands
229 Posts
Gold Member
Flere replied on Tue, Jan 17 2017 9:36 PM
Strauss Sun:

@carlito I use beo4 press Radio and control the volume of BL5s connected to non-B&O streamer. Is there a way to set up the start-up volume level on BL5s ? Because the current start-up level is too low and every time I have to increase the volume. Thank you !

Yes, that is described in the usermanual.

Set the volume you want as start volume

LIST

A.SETUP

GO

LIST

S.STORE

GO

According to the Dutch user manual, this should do the trick.

I did not test this myself.

- Flere

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS