rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 1 Follower

Saint Beogrowler
Top 200 Contributor
Saint Paul, Minnesota
307 Posts
Gold Member
Saint Beogrowler posted on Tue, May 3 2016 2:47 AM
Hi. I received a Beogram 3000 type 5228 from the early 70's that runs too fast. I received this beauty in exchange for fixing a Sansui receiver for a friend.

Peter-

All Replies

Saint Beogrowler
Top 200 Contributor
Saint Paul, Minnesota
307 Posts
Gold Member
Apparently the BG 3000 used a lighter softer metal

Failure here.

Peter-

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,918 Posts
Bronze Member

You are hitting on the wheel, put a piece of tube that fits over the shaft in a vise, tighten hard, put the long side of the shaft inside the tube, hit the shaft with a plastic hammer or a piece of hardwood and a hammer, when the shaft is even with the center use a mandrel for the rest.

If you didnt take all the measurements before, you are in trouble now

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 200 Contributor
Saint Paul, Minnesota
307 Posts
Gold Member
Measurements were indeed recorded prior to the pressing and we will see how much trouble I'm in yet.

Mine had a toothed ring in between the layers of the pulley that were gripping on the teeth of the shaft. My first two poundings were taps with a piece of wood against the shaft and a soft roll of tape against the pulley that must have been too wide. That technique deformed it as seen in the prior pictures. When poundings the right way as Søren described I was able to break that inner ring.

Peter-

Saint Beogrowler
Top 200 Contributor
Saint Paul, Minnesota
307 Posts
Gold Member
Almost there!

Mennahem knew a guy who was looking to get rid of some parts to a 60hz table. Parts arrived last night, pulley was the exact size I needed. Using Martin's new belt (fantastic that these are available now! You should buy one) it's up and running and playing at appropriate speeds.

Dried rubber on the idler pulley is a little noisy, I will have to get that reconditioned yet and the RCAs and power cord could use a replacing to get it closer to perfect, and the tonearm doesn't always return, probably use better cleaning and oiling. But it's so close and playing great right now.

Only thing will be to find new bearings for the motor for long life and then I'll upgrade the cartridge.

Peter-

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,478 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, Mar 14 2017 9:47 PM

These are great decks - probably the third best Beogram 3000! But the best actually properly made by B&O! The 2000 looks even better but the 3000 sounds better.

Peter

Saint Beogrowler
Top 200 Contributor
Saint Paul, Minnesota
307 Posts
Gold Member
What makes this table sound so good? I'm am assuming it is because it was such a journey to get here hat I like it so much.

I've been side by side comparing this to a TX with mmc3 this afternoon and the BG3000 sounds deeper with less surface noise from the same albums. I would think compared to numbers and technology it wouldn't sound so good. I probably have tweeting I will still do to both decks yet though.

Peter-

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,478 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Wed, Mar 15 2017 9:25 AM

Better record support for starters. The SP cartridges are also excellent - my best deck is the Thorens Beogram 3000 which uses a 12" version of the B&O arm and an SP2 - the record support is much better again and the bass is very extended in comparison to most Beograms. The suspension is clearly not the same so it is mounted on a rigid wall bracket.

Peter

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,325 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Mar 15 2017 9:48 AM

Plus, perhaps, a general change in sound taste and greater attention to fidelity.
The newer decks are designed to sound linear, the older decks pleasant.

Martin

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
689 Posts
Silver Member

Peter:

These are great decks - probably the third best Beogram 3000! But the best actually properly made by B&O! The 2000 looks even better but the 3000 sounds better.

Interesting. I always thought Beogram 1202, Beogram 2000 and Beogram 3000 (not the Thorens and not the acoustical) are all the same decks with only visual differences (the 1202 and 2000 with a platter with “pegs” to hold the record and 2000 with part of the in black instead of silver to match the Beomaster 2000).... Unsure

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS