This is my first post into this exciting forum. I just acquired two B&O's 5000 and already proud of them.
The BeoMaster 5000 is Type 2005 Serie 03 serial #61668
The BeoLab 5000 is type 5303 series 03 serial #14088
The Beomaster does not seem having been serviced before however I can see two service tags on the underside of the BeoLab where one of them dates back to 74. There is also evidence of poorly executed repairs with bunch of missing screws and cracked output transistors housings, etc... But! buying vintage stuff has its lots of chalenges but a joy to bring them back to their glory days and this is certainly a challenge I can take anytime.
Little about me, well, I was introduced to vintage rigs last starting with the refurbish of a couple of Dual amps (2x CV40, 1 CV80). Surprisingly, the CV40's sounded better compared to the more powerful CV80. Given their reputation, good rigs to start with. Of course not rated as "High End" but built to last forever.
Then I moved to Klein & Hummel ES20 and ET20 tuner and amps. Fantastic machines despite of their circuit simplicity. They share a lot with the amps manufactured back in the 70' but with evident clean design and quality components. The amplifier is not very powerful however very warm and smooth, I never heard something like that before.
Here I am now with B&O where I was attracted by the design, reputation and rarity.
I would like to salute my old friend Menahem Yachad where I saw few old post and he's the one of taught me the good practices at restoring vintage rigs. Thanks to you!
I already spotted few of you where I think they can help me reviving those magnificent machines.
I will start with the one that needs more care (BeoLab) and you will hear from me soon but this time with pictures.
If someone would like to chime in telling approximately the manuafacting year, that would be a great start!
Looking forward working with you!
Oh BTW, congrats Sorens with your BeoLab refurbish, very inspiring for my own project! Guys, let's save them all! :)
Before assembling the controls to the front panel, I'm putting all the chances on my side to avoid dust going back in there.
First, I'm closing, with sticky construction tape, all the openings as shown.
I made a custom dust proof film using an acetate sheet and installed on the backside of the front panel. The film will get squeezed between the slider and the front panel when screwed.
This is how it looks from the front face of the front panel.
I dust gets in there, it will be very little.
Goodbye jammed sliders!
Good job, like it
Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.