rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 35 Replies | 4 Followers

Peter
Top 200 Contributor
Saint Paul, Minnesota
257 Posts
Gold Member
Peter posted on Sun, Apr 3 2016 12:30 AM

This nice Beomaster has its first 4 switches to the left that do not stay latched. I believe it suffered some beotrauma forcing them inward since they are shorter than the rest of the switches by 4mm. Before I tear it's face off to investigate, are there any surprises I should look out for taking the face apart? I've never dismantled a Beomaster of this era and would like to get it back together.

Peter-

All Replies

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,882 Posts
Bronze Member

If you have all the power supplies at the correct voltages and the idle current adjusted, the buzzing coming with all sources I would suspect the power supply or anything before the preamps

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,464 Posts
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Apr 20 2016 8:36 AM
And the idle current will be way off because of that buzz, if you hear it with volume zeroed. Is it the case?

Jacques

Peter
Top 200 Contributor
Saint Paul, Minnesota
257 Posts
Gold Member
Peter replied on Wed, Apr 20 2016 9:39 PM
Solved! 1 of the dozen or so wires connected to the central filter cap negative terminal was not making contact and a ground wire coming off the preamp board was not making consistent contact. So two grounding issues rather than my reversed capacitor were the problems.

Thank you for all your help in asking questions to help guide me in my thinking.

Peter-

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
5,882 Posts
Bronze Member

Congrats Peter, time and time again I stare myself blind with failures like this, good job finding it

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Craig
Top 200 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
278 Posts
Silver Member
Craig replied on Fri, Apr 22 2016 12:35 PM

Just at this point on my own project, waiting for 3 off new caps to be delivered......I feel compelled to say that loading up one capacitor terminal with no less than eleven connections is a bit excessive.....little wonder one connection was weak.

ALF
Top 150 Contributor
AUS
391 Posts
Silver Member
ALF replied on Tue, Mar 14 2017 1:04 AM

Hi peter,

in case it still is a mystery:  hv is the red-white twisted wire at the bank of  4 wires and r is the red wire in the bank of 4 wires  on the center right hd side.

cheers

ALF

Page 3 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS