rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Drew W Platt
Not Ranked
Houston, TX
17 Posts
Gold Member
Drew W Platt posted on Mon, Dec 7 2015 6:46 PM

I am looking for information and suggestions regarding Type S speakers. Are there any suggested replacements for old crossover caps? Any sources for speaker repair parts?

Indiana Drew

Gear: 608 High Fidelity Amp/Type S Speakers - C-20/MC-240/Heresys - Other McIntosh Pieces

All Replies

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
542 Posts
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Thu, Dec 17 2015 10:48 PM

How do they currently sound? Not a particularly common speaker these but nice with vintage equipment of the same era.

Ben

Drew W Platt
Not Ranked
Houston, TX
17 Posts
Gold Member

Odd that you should have responded - I received the notification as I was hooking them up for the first time. Under less than ideal conditions (in my garage playing from an Airport Express to some older model Sony AV Receiver's pre outs to my 30yr old Yamaha M-40) they don't sound bad. Not having much experience with B&O systems, I don't really know how they are "supposed to" sound.

I am still waiting for the 608 Amp to show up from Germany - that is the only reason I decided to purchase these. When I do receive it, I'll be taking it to my tech guy so I might as well pull out the crossovers in the S and have him test them. I have not been able to figure out if the grill cloths on the Type S is removable or not. The wires are of course of the vintage that they look tiny compared to modern wires.

From what I can tell, these speakers are very efficient. I would imagine they will sound much warmer with tubes. They don't seem very bassy unless I adjust the EQ and then they seem pretty good. The sound is crisp, but not shrill. Before I had my Heresys recapped, they were a little hard to handle. Of course they are apples and oranges. I tried a variety of artists through them - the ones I have grown to use when "evaluating" speakers. I am in no way shape of form any sort of expert and I don't think my hearing is that good anymore.

So far I am not disappointed. I also unboxed a early '80s pair of NS-10 Ms that were my father's. So far they are disappointing!

Indiana Drew

Gear: 608 High Fidelity Amp/Type S Speakers - C-20/MC-240/Heresys - Other McIntosh Pieces

Drew W Platt
Not Ranked
Houston, TX
17 Posts
Gold Member

Anyone know if the drivers on these were wired out of phase and which driver is supposed to be in phase when the speakers are wired correctly?

Indiana Drew

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,421 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Jun 30 2017 8:43 AM

All drivers are in phase.

Martin

Drew W Platt
Not Ranked
Houston, TX
17 Posts
Gold Member

Thank you Martin - I will have to check them again. When I tested them with Speaker Polarity test app, it was reading reverse polarity between woofer and tweeters. I have to open them up and have a look inside. The wires are in pretty rough shape. I had planned to replace the wiring and caps in them and perhaps add a terminal cup on the back of each. I plan on unsung them with a 608 amp. Will I gain anything by increasing the wire size? Any down side to installing a terminal cup? The 608 that I have has screw type terminals on the back, not Dinn which I think I have seen on pics of other units.

Indiana Drew

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
9,421 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Jun 30 2017 3:16 PM

Drew W Platt:

Will I gain anything by increasing the wire size?

No.
It's a low-wattage speaker so not a lot of current running through the wires.
What B&O put in is more than adequate - even if a bit thin seen with modern eyes.

Drew W Platt:

Any down side to installing a terminal cup?

It's completely unnecessary and it will destroy originality.
It's a general rule, that (almost) all modifications done to B&O units will bring their value down considerably.
Your speakers are not really rare, but again not particularly common either. They will be collectible if not already.
If your amplifier has been modified to screw terminals, I would either make a small adapter to match the
speakers DIN plugs or reverse the modification done to the amplifier. 

You can replace the capacitor (one in each cabinet) if you like, but no modifications (short of a complete rebuild to something
completely different) would make them better speakers - really.
- It would have been done by B&O already.

Martin

Drew W Platt
Not Ranked
Houston, TX
17 Posts
Gold Member

Sound advice all around. Thank you Martin!

Indiana Drew

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS